Now I Cannot Open any XL File!!

monirg

Dear Sir / Madam;

1. I had my Laptop on service at STAPLES from Oct 2018 to Mar 2019 to “Update the Network Driver
  2. Staples did an extremely bad job, andnow I cannot open any of my files (XL files or any of my User Forms).
  3. I asked Staples to install MS Office2010 (the ONLY CD I could find. I’m 100%sure the laptop had a more recent version of MS Office, but I couldn’t locate it).[I remember SOLVER was a “REFERANCE” not an “ADD IN”as in Office 2010]

4. I have no intention to call STAPLES anymore after they had made this mess!
  5. Now when I try to open any of my XLfiles or user forms, I get the message:Excelcannot open the file … V08 … .xlsm, [2,606 KB]becausethe file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and the file extensionmatches the format of the file.

6. After checking the location of thefile and changing the file extension to .xls,I got the same above message (Item 5 above)

7. Toshiba’s tech advised the other day: “Try to open the file using “Updated” not “Upgraded” version of MS Office”.
    I tried MS Office 2013, and I got the same message!Please lift me from this misery (years of internal research work!).

Do you have any suggestion??

Thank you for your help.

Monir

Last edited:
Hi;

I forgot to mention in my OP that ALL files, user forms, programs,etc., were working perfectly before I took the laptop to STAPLES to update the wired Internet connection driver.

I’m not sure if the above would shed more light on the problem I’m having now.

Thanks.

Monir

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Not really.....except that it appears someone has completely screwed you laptop !!!

Upvote 0
Hi;

OK. I agree that someone screwed up my laptop.
But what do I do now?

I expect (from my past experience) that the XL Experts in this Forum would tell me (even guessing) what to do.
For example: Go to Control Panel / Settings and try this, or Update the MS Office from 2010, or Upgrade Office, or …….
(As I mentioned earlier, I tried the updated Office 2013, and it didn’t work. Same error message as I mentioned in the OP)

I’m not allowed to attach an sample XL file to my OP, and the alternatives are not that simple.

Thanks.

Monir

Upvote 0
I expect (from my past experience) that the XL Experts in this Forum would tell me (even guessing) what to do.
Unfortunately, this is above and beyond Excel....it could simply be a software problem not related to Excel !!

I still believe you MUST return to the repairer and demand they take action to rectify the issue.

Upvote 0

Hi;

A) I’m 100% sure the “repairer” would not be able to open my XL files (or any file for that matter).
I think they tried after the “Update”they performed!!

B) Remember, they’ve created this problem in the first place by damaging / corrupting my XL files in the process of “Updating the Network Driver” (for the wired Internet connection). My laptop is now a useless piece of electronics!

C) I have no intention whatsoever of contacting “Staples”again (As I mentioned in the OP).
I’ve recently told them: “They should not be in the computer business.”

D) By the way, their technicians “know more about computers than MS experts”. That’s what they told me the other day.

Regards.

Monir

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you provide us with a link to a file, we can at least tell you whether the file itself has a problem, or whether it's an issue with your computer.

Upvote 0
Hi RoryA;

Thank you for your interest.

1. Pleaserefer to my reply (Post # 11 above)
  2. Can you please tell me (in simple English) how to link a file, since I’m not allowed to post attachments in this Forum?

Thanks.

Monir

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Post 11 is not relevant to my question. As to posting a file, you've already had a suggestion to sign up to dropbox. You can get a free account there, upload a file, and then create a sharing link (everything is covered in the Dropbox help system) that you can post here.

Upvote 0
Were the files you shared with Michael password protected? The binary info looks completely garbled, so I assume that either they were password protected, or they were copied from an encrypted drive.

Upvote 0
Hi Rory;

I don’t think the files, particularly the User Forms, you received from Michael, were password protected.

It’s hard to know since I cannot open them!

If they were, try the password 4992.

Thank you.

Monir

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back