Now()

jlkirk

Office Version
  1. 365
I would like to create a conditional formula in a cell such that if a specific time during a day has not passed, the cell would return one value, and if the time has passed, the cell would return another value. For example, if the current time/date is not, say, 4:00 PM EDT on October 7, 2002, the cell would return a "Yes", but if it were past 4:00 PM EDT on October 7, 2002, the cell would return a "No". I have the actual date (not time) in another cell already, so that if need be I can reference it.

I have searched for posts under the Now() function, but to no avail.

Any takers?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Thanks, Eli. I tried that, but it didn't work. The format of the date in C1 is "mm/dd/yy". Could that be the problem? I guess the question is, if we want to use your formula, how to set the date and time in C1 to be the date I specified that the Now() function must be > or <. Sound logical/doable?
Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0
On 2002-10-07 05:36, jlkirk wrote:
Thanks, Eli. I tried that, but it didn't work. The format of the date in C1 is "mm/dd/yy". Could that be the problem? I guess the question is, if we want to use your formula, how to set the date and time in C1 to be the date I specified that the Now() function must be > or <. Sound logical/doable?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,
I can't figure out what is your problem, as format is only the "mask" for the basic number which expresses the date.
I tried it and with many formats anf formula and it works fine.

Sorry,

Eli

Upvote 0
Eli,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Here is a more succinct interpretation of my problem:

While 4:00 PM has passed for the days October 1-6, it hasn't passed for the 7th-31st. What I need is a formula that will determine if the date and time has (or hasn't) passed. In other words, in my hypothetical, if I had a worksheet of columns A1-AE1 (I believe that's 31) corresponding to the days in October, I would like a formula that would, in this case, return a "No" in cells A1-F1, and a "Yes" in the remainder of the cells. Sorry I wasn't more clear.
Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0
You have to have the date and time in A1-AE1, you can custom format it as m/d/yy hh:mm to see it, then the formula Eliw gave you will work, modified to your last replay it would be =IF(NOW()>A1,"Y","N")

Upvote 0
Eli/Paul,
Yes it does work, as I didn't understand you could enter a date/time via custom, etc.
Thanks to both of you!
Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back