NPV for annual operating costs and reoccurring fixed cost every X years

jonexcel88

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am developing a forecast of costs using the NPV formula which include operating and fixed costs however, the fixed costs reoccur every X years (depending on the type of equipment). The model looks at costs of switching from equipment 1 to equipment 2. Equipment 1 only has operating costs and no fixed costs whereas equipment 2 has operating costs and reoccurring fixed costs every (C104) years.

I currently have:
=NPV($C$105, $E$34:E34, $C$103+F87,OFFSET(G87,0,0,1,$C$104-1),$C$103+OFFSET(G87,0,$C$104-1,1,1),OFFSET(G87,0,$C$104,1,$C$104-1))

Where:
C105 = discount rate
E34 = operating costs of equipment type 1
C103 = fixed cost of equipment 2
G87 = first year of operating costs of equipment type 2
C104 =useful life of equipment type 2

I don't think the NPV formula is working correctly here. Happy to explain further if you need more information to help.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Not able to test it rn, but do keep in mind cash outflows need to be entered as negative values.

Is it returning odd figures or an error?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying Devo182.

The negative values is a good idea but since we don't have any cash coming in for this forecast I don't think that would make a difference.

To answer your questions, the formula is not returning an error, just odd figures. The numbers are strangely lower than they should be. I'm wondering if it has to do with placing ranges in the Value 1, Value 2, etc. slots for the NPV formula combined with the offset function.

Maybe there is a better way to use NPV with regular operating costs and reoccurring fixed costs every x years?

Upvote 0
It turns out the sheet I was using to check the calculations was wrong and my formula was right. So I'll mark this as solved.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back