Number based off Years of Service

tcfd1166

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to build a function that is based off of years of service by hire date. The hire date cell uses this function : =DATEDIF(B27,$C$5, "y") where B27 is the hire date cell. and $C$5 is the date value we enter to check and update the sheet.

The function needs to do the following:
Years of Service based off Hire DateResult
0-11
1-22
2-33
3+4

I have tried multiple IF statements and can only get a return of either 1 or False. I cannot get it to go any further. Any help or suggestions on a formula?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
Excel Formula:
=SWITCH(DATEDIF(B27,$C$5, "y"),0,"0-1",1,"0-1",2,"1-2",3,"2-3","3+")

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
Excel Formula:
=SWITCH(DATEDIF(B27,$C$5, "y"),0,"0-1",1,"0-1",2,"1-2",3,"2-3","3+")
That pulled the range. My example is in year 2 right now hard coded. It populated 1-2 instead of 2.
I think the function is backwards, I need to show 1,2,3,4 for years instead of 0-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3+. If a date falls in 1-2 years, I need to show 2.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I don't understand, your formula will only return whole numbers so it does not return 0-1 or 1-2 etc.

Upvote 0
If a person has 0-1 years experience, I want a value of "1".
1-2 years experience, value "2"
2-3 years experience, value "3"
3+ years experience, value "4"

The switch function works somewhat.
=SWITCH(C27,0,"1",1,"2",2,"3",3,"4"), but I need to go higher than 3. I could enter in the formula a maximum code I guess of say 50 for the range, (8,"4", 9,"4",10,"4"....) Basically anything after 3 years of service should populate a "4".

Upvote 0
Try it like
Excel Formula:
=SWITCH(DATEDIF(B26,$C$5, "y"),0,1,1,2,2,3,4)

Upvote 0
Solution
This version still shows a value of 3 instead of a 2. Their hire date is in September of 2018, so they should not populate a 3 until September.

=SWITCH(C27,0,1,1,2,2,3,4)

I was trying multiple IF(AND statements to get it to populate in between years, but I could never get it to work either.

Upvote 0
Can you post a sample of your data along with the result of your datedif formula & the expected results.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back