Number formatting

id4xl

Hi

I have a number :

I want it to appear in xl as below

meaning 3 crores 56 lakhs 78 thousands 3 hundred and 29.

We have crores and lakhs in india.. and are comfortable with that than millions and billions..

how do i format the cell to display the commas like this?

i tried changing the # formatting through control panel - regional setting - standards & formats (English UK) - customise - and selected 12,34,56,789

still doesn't work

pl dont tell me i need to get used to millions and bns ...........help !!!!!!!!!!!

How about a custom number format of :
Code:
[>9999999.99]##\,##\,##\,##0.00;[>99999.99]##\,##\,##0.00;##,##0.00

that will cover you up to 999999999.99

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Dear RAM / LENZE,

Thanks, that code worked, but yes only in column A.
Guess this is better than nothing at all.

The code can easily be modified for any range or column(s). It's simply a matter of defining the target range. Where do you want the code to apply?

lenze

Upvote 0
Dear GlennUK,

FANTASTIC.. THANKS.. IT WORKS...

Now if I am not asking for too much, is there a way to save this format in XL as one of the defaults or everytime I have to copy this onto
Format - Cells - Custom.

Great job.. thanks again..

Upvote 0
There are a few ways to do this ... create an Excel book template with the number format in it, or create a sheet template, so that you can add a new sheet to a book and it will bring in the format.

Or you could add it to your Personal.xls, and store it in a named style, and when you need it elsewhere, unhide your Personal.xls, switch back to your target workbook, and do Format/Style/Merge Styles and merge from your Personal.xls workbook ( merging style brings in any number formats used in those styles ).

Or you could write a macro, stored in your Personal.xls, and have that macro create a custom number format, and have that macro attached to a toolbar button.

Upvote 0
oops, I forgot to mention that I am a layman.. macros and templates sound too technical for me..

nevertheless, my sincere thanks for your support. it helped a great deal.

Upvote 0
my pleasure.

If you are a layman, I'd recommend just having a special workbook with your formats in ... and do Format/Style to create a named style for each format. That way you can open your formats book and use the Format/Styles/Merge Styles command to get your formats copied in. That doesn't need any macros or messing with templates.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back