Number not the same as a calculated number, (why doesn't (2013.13 - 0.13) equal 0.13)

rodp

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have a strange issue occuring when I try to test when a number equals another number. At first I thought it was due to the function i was using [INT() or ROUND()] but have disproved this by doing this manually. Please could someone help me understand if this is a general issue or whether it's something to do with my PC? I'm using excel 2007.

In Excel I have 2 numbers, 2013.13 and 2013 in separate cells. In another cell I simply subtract them. This should bring an answer of 0.13 but if you extend the number of decimal place to 13 you start to see some extra digits, namely 0.130000000000109000. The problem with this then means you can't test if the subtraction is the same as a fixed test number.

Here's the table
ABCD
4=A1-A2This will show a result of 0.13 but in fact it's

<tbody>
</tbody>
If(A3=A4,TRUE, FALSE)This should return TRUE but because of the extra digits occuring then it returns FALSE... hence my problem!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

RodP

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Using Precision As Displayed has major ramifications; there are few situations I've seen where it is appropriate. Judicious rounding is almost always a better solution:

A​
B​
1​
2013.13​
A1: Input
2​
2013​
A2: Input
3​
0.13​
A3: Input
4​
TRUE​
A4: =ROUND(A3,6)=A3

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I used Round() in the end - now understand what floating points are all about .... you would have thought they would have solved that problem by now - how on earth can you work at the nth decimal place knowing that?! Hope Nasa aren't using excel for their sums or their little spaceship that's going to land on that comet in November might not end up successful!!

Cheers

Rodp

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back