Number of instances a person has been off sick

Hazeyt

Office Version
  1. 365
I have a spreadsheet with all different kind of staff absence record types that are linked by a staff ID number. I want to calculate the number of instances that a member of staff has been off for sick leave only. I have added a column with an indicator to show the staff who have been off on sick leave. I have tried sumif using the ID number and Sick leave indictor and also count to try calculate the number of instances but it doesn't seem to work. Please can anyone help? Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Hi,
With the assumption your names are located in range B2:B10 and the Sickness indicator in A2:A10
=SUMPRODUCT((B2:B10="John")*(A2:A10="S"))

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.

Can you post some sample data.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Hi,
With the assumption your names are located in range B2:B10 and the Sickness indicator in A2:A10
=SUMPRODUCT((B2:B10="John")*(A2:A10="S"))
Thank you. I need to use the Staff ID number to identify how many times that person has been off. Would I add this on to the end of the formula?

Upvote 0
Thank you. I need to use the Staff ID number to identify how many times that person has been off. Would I add this on to the end of the formula?

In fact the element (B2:B10="John") is your way to identify your staff ... so you need to replace with (B2:B10="the Staff_ID_Number_Selected")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back