Number Range

Milz

This seems like a simple thing to do, but I'm quite the excel novice and the solution is really eluding me.
How do I express a value in a cell such as 85-99 to actually mean... the numbers from 85 through 99 (actually they are refering to the years 1985 through 1999)
I've set up a drop down list populated from a list of years. I want the user to be able to choose for instance 1990 and have the row containing the 85-99 value be included in the results.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi - welcome to the board!

I'm sure we can sort this out, but could you post back with a few more details...what do you mean by "have the row containing the 85-99 value be included in the results" - are you trying to set up a filter here, or is the data on another sheet & you want to bring back row record(s) depending on the selection...what else is going on in the sheet???

More info please.

Paddy

Upvote 0
Hi, Thanks for taking a look at my post.

I'll try and clarify it a bit better....
As of now I'm using filters (there may be a better way to go but for now I'm just trying to go simple). The workbook is made up of several sheets, each sheet is for a different category of auto accessory. Each row the sheet is for a specific part. The columns are the details of the part. The main columns (the ones I'm filtering by) refer to the, Make, Model, and Years of the vehicle that the part is for. Then there are several other columns for size, shape, color etc. etc. I have the main columns auto filtered so the user may first filter by the sheet by Make, then further filter by Model, that works great, but the Years column gets tricky because a part may fit several consecutive years.(i.e. 85-99) which is how it would be listed in the Years column. I don't think it would be practical to list every single year for a specific part on separate rows because that would add way too many rows to each sheet. So I'm looking for a way to make the values in the years column... 85-99 (for example) refer to that range of years. Then somehow (I haven't figured this part out yet) I want the user to be able to choose a year from a drop down list I have populated with all the years that part is available, to further filter the records until they find the exact part they're looking for. So for example if the user chooses 1990 from the drop down list, a row containing 85-99 in the Years column would be included in what's returned by the filter.
I hope this helps clarify it a little.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back