Numbers

elgringo56

I have a cell that has a number in it, it could be any number from 1 to 99,999,999. I have set up 8 cells, A1 thru H1. I would like to put the least significant digit in cell H1, second least significant digit in Cell G1 and so on back to the most significant digit, it it is a number that large, in Cell A1. Does anyone know how I can do this with forumulas instead of macros?

In which case, Juan's is the way to go...(it would be straightforward to alter the method I posted to you're revised situation).

One thing though - you said:

"I would like to put the least significant digit in cell H1, second least significant digit in Cell G1 and so on back to the most significant digit"

If a number has one digit, it has one most significant digit - surely it should be in A1, not H1??? As I said earlier:

"if you want significant digits, the single digit number 9's most significant digit is 9, as is 98,765,432. Your formula would match the number 9's 9 with 98,765,432's 2."

or am I missing something?

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-08-27 19:08

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
You are right, paddy, a one digit number has both a least and a most significant digit that are the same. However in all other numbers the least significant is on the right and I needed that is cell H1. At any rate, it all works well and I thank you both. The only problem was, that after the formula, the "numbers" are no longer seen by excel as numbers, but as text. for my purposes, that was ok, I just had to change some of my formula by adding quote marks. What I am doing is, using english software, converting numbers to the verbal equivalent in spanish for writing checks. It seems there are few, if any spanish versions of accounting programs that can write checks here in Mexico because of the verbage used here for numbers.
This message was edited by elgringo56 on 2002-08-27 19:40

Upvote 0
Re the 'text' numbers - just add a +0 to the formula to convert back to numbers:

=MID(TEXT($A3,"00000000"),COLUMN(A2),1)+0

Paddy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back