Numbers

elgringo56

I have a cell that has a number in it, it could be any number from 1 to 99,999,999. I have set up 8 cells, A1 thru H1. I would like to put the least significant digit in cell H1, second least significant digit in Cell G1 and so on back to the most significant digit, it it is a number that large, in Cell A1. Does anyone know how I can do this with forumulas instead of macros?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
When I went to school, the most significant digit was the digit all the way to left, the least significant digit is the one on the right. I will look up the Rank and see what it is, thank you.

Upvote 0
I dont think that is it. That returns the rank of a number within a list of numbers. I have a single number. I want to put each digit of that number in a cell, the left most number in Cell H1, the tens column number in Cell G1, the hundreds column number in Cell F1 and so on back. I know with text you can use the LEFT or RIGHT function to pull out characters, but I dont know how to do it with numbers. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Put this formula in A1 and drag to the left

=MID(TEXT($A$2,"00000000"),COLUMN(A1),1)

or enter this array formula in A1:H1

{=MID(TEXT($A$2,"00000000"),COLUMN(A1:H1),1)}

I assumed the number is in A2.

Upvote 0
Juan,

If I get the OP right, I don't think your version will work - if you want significant digits, the number 9's most significant digit is 9, as is 98,765,432. Your formula would match the number 9's 9 with 98,765,432's 2. There are no doubt array approaches to this, but I don't think you can avoid a test for the lenght / size of the number somewhere:

see the next post for the worksheet

Paddy
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-08-27 18:25

Upvote 0
Paddy, that is almost right, but, it is reversed. a single 9 would be in H1, if its 98, then the 8 would be in H1 the 9 in G1, for the 987, the 7 should be in H1, the 8 in G1, the 9 in F1 and so on. Thanks to both of you, I hope I can figgure out how to turn it around.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back