numeric field overflow

Cath

Board Regular
Help!!

I've been building a database for my company, have spent weeks on it so far. The data is taken from various excell sheets that are already in use, put into a main excell sheet, and then linked tables are used to put the info into access. This was the only way of doing it.

I've been having much trouble with the access side of things. I find the whole system really frustrating esp using linked tables as nothing can be changed!!

Ive had a lot of trouble with things not being able to be read in access. eg, our revision numbers can be A, B, C, or 1, 2, 3, etc. If I define these as a number it comes up with an error so I've had to define them as text. There's nothing I can do about this its because we use part numbers from different customers.

Anyway finally thought I'd got it sorted. I'm now having to do text to columns macros within the excell file to make sure that any numbers are formatted as text, etc, etc, so that access can read it.

Then got my boss coming to look at it tomorrow morning, and hey presto run it today and I'm getting 'numeric field overflow' error!!

I've read a few posts on here but most seem to suggest changing the field type (which I can't do as its a linked table) or that there are text/ numeric conflicts (which I've tried to get rid of as much as possible but some examples, eg, revision numbers I can't do anything about)

Can anyone tell me what specifically causes it??

Can anyone help!!

(ps I'm off home in a min so won't be able to answer any questions till 8am tomorrow)

(pps it doesn't do it in every query, and oddly the one it does it in is the one with the least date/ fields, etc)

Cath :oops:

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi all

well it seems the problem has gone away, after much searching on the internet, and trying lots of fixes regarding text/ numeric conflicts, I came across a website that mentioned that a date before 1790 or something could be a problem. Had a look through and its seems one of my dates was in the wrong format. Changed this and its gone away!!! hurray!!! I can't remember what the date was but if I put in 01/01/1790 the problem comes back. Phew, boss coming round in 20 mins!!

So always worth a try if you're struggling!!

Thanks for looking!

Cath

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back