A1
B1
C1
1.4um Thick
1.2um Thick
Test 1

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want t compare the numbers in A1 and B1 so that the text in C1 will be highlighted.
Example: If A1>B1 (1.4>1.2), then 'Test 1' in C1 will have red text.

Is there a way to do this without having to add another column to separate the number from the text?

Thanks alot in advance!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
hi aniz! you can use left formula to extract numeric numbers only. as if(left(A1,3)>left(B1,3) then Range(C1).Font.Bold

Upvote 0
You should use conditional formatting to create the red font.
Use this formula in the conditional formatting
(--LEFT(A2,FIND("um",A2)-1))>(--LEFT(B2,FIND("um",B2)-1))
This will work even if the numbers are not all the same number of digits, but it does require all numbers to be followed by "um"

Upvote 0
Try conditional formatting, select C1 then Home tab > Conditional formatting > Highlight cell rules > More rules > New Formatting rules > Use formula to determine which cell to format > edit the rule description > =--LEFT(A1,3)>--LEFT(B1,3) > Format > Color > Red OK out.

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your quick response. It saved me many hours of trying to browse the net for the solution. haha! Btw, I used L. Howard's suggestion. :)

Upvote 0
Try conditional formatting, select C1 then Home tab > Conditional formatting > Highlight cell rules > More rules > New Formatting rules > Use formula to determine which cell to format > edit the rule description > =--LEFT(A1,3)>--LEFT(B1,3) > Format > Color > Red OK out.

Regards,
Howard

Thanks for the response and instruction L. Howard. It's not really complicated as I thought it would be.:)

Upvote 0
Hi! I have a follow-question. If there is at least one 'red text' in Column C, I would like to make overall assessment in Column C like ex. C30: "Experiment Failed".
This is another conditional formatting but i dont know what is the formula. Thanks once again!

Upvote 0
In the vb editor look at the top left of the page between View and Format. Click on INSERT then Module. When you get the module paste this in it.
On the worksheet in a cell enter , "=countcolor($C$1:$C$25,255)" (no quotes) and adjust the range to cover your red font anticipated cells.
To check on your experiment press F9. The code will fire with each calculation on the sheet which may be a bother but will only produce the message if you have red font in the range in the formula.

Code:
Option Explicit
Function countcolor(rng As Range, colorindex As Integer)
 Dim count As Integer
 count = 0
 Dim rw As Range
 For Each rw In rng
    If rw.Font.Color = colorindex Then
     count = count + 1
   End If
 Next rw
 countcolor = count
 If countcolor > 0 Then
 MsgBox "Booger on your Experiment"
 End If
 End Function

'On the sheet use =countcolor($C$1:$C$25,255)

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back