Object on Excel Sheet

Paula Meyer

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to "hide" columns on Excel. The last column with information entered is column HG so it's relatively large. I am getting an error message that says "cannot shift objects off sheet".
It does allow me to hide some columns and then I get the message after hiding around 38 columns. From there, I select fewer columns and it allows me but then I get the error message again. I do not know what "object" is referring to. I have calculated fields in some columns. In experimenting, I now get an error message that "fixed objects will move" as I try to hide a few columns.
I do not know what an "object" is, nor how it got on this sheet. Thank you again for any help!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
So what is a non-empty cell...........
A cell with something in it: a formula that's never been used but resulting in "empty" or a blank (" ").
When cells at the outer right hand side of your sheet are not empty, and columns are shifted to the right, the same error message may popup.

Upvote 0
Or maybe your sheet has a problem. In this case, it is advisable to copy your information into a new book.
You tried this option.
In the forum I have met several times that ensure that the macro does not work, when I tell them copy your data and paste in a new book, the macro works!

Maybe the sheet has a damage.. Just do the test.

Upvote 0
You tried this option.
In the forum I have met several times that ensure that the macro does not work, when I tell them copy your data and paste in a new book, the macro works!

Maybe the sheet has a damage.. Just do the test.
So I have a "Master" sheet that feeds onto about 20 other sheets, so if I copy/paste into a new book, I assume Id' have to reconnect and calculate the other 20+ sheets.....?
As an experiment, I copied the "Master" sheet into a new workbook and WAS able to hide all columns so it is some non-empty cell issue on my original. But, I've selected ALL cells not used both to the right and below the last used cells and "Deleted" but still can't hide. I notice my last colums is IV and I am not able to add more columns. Could it possibly be a non-empty cell that is beyond column IV ?

Another thing, it allows me to hide 66 columns, it's the 67th that I get the message..........is that a clue?

IF I need to copy all into a new workbook, is there a way to have the other 20+ sheets connected to the "Master"?

I really appreciate all the help I'm getting, like I said, it'll be a huge undertaking to copy into a new book unless there's a way for the connections to the other sheets go along with it.

Thank you in advance, again :)

Upvote 0
Have you checked to see if you have any cells with comments?

Upvote 0
Have you checked to see if you have any cells with comments?
Not that I have added, is there a way to see if there is? This is only on my master sheet, it wouldn't matter if I had cells with comments on other "sheets" within the workbook, right?

Upvote 0
With the problem sheet active run this
VBA Code:
Sub Check()
MsgBox "comments " & ActiveSheet.Comments.Count
MsgBox "Notes " & ActiveSheet.CommentsThreaded.Count
End Sub
Do both messages boxes show 0?

Upvote 0
Hit “Ctrl-G”
Select “special” (bottom left)
Select “Objects” (bottom left)
Hit “OK”

This will select all objects in the selected workbook. From there you can decide if it is worth keeping the objects, or if you want to delete or move them.
It says no objects found.........

Upvote 0
With the problem sheet active run this
VBA Code:
Sub Check()
MsgBox "comments " & ActiveSheet.Comments.Count
MsgBox "Notes " & ActiveSheet.CommentsThreaded.Count
End Sub
Do both messages boxes show 0?
I do not know how to "run" that equation

Upvote 0
Problem solved, it was a "comment" not an object, fixed through special - comments and ok!

Can't thank you all enough!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back