Obsolete Named Ranges causing slow Excel Table query

GooberTron

Board Regular
I was gifted a Workbook from a colleague and asked to help set-up a simple Pivot Table.
Their existing table needed a bit of re-arrangement, so I loaded it as a query and unpivoted some things, added to data model and added a calculated column. Source Excel table was perhaps 70 rows and 20 columns, so really tiny.
However, refreshing the Power Pivot Tables I created from the Data Model was taking nearly a minute.
I stripped all the steps back, tried every weird tweak from Google on speeding up data loading. Nothing was working.
The answer was when I checked the Name Manager. Hundreds of obsolete Workbook scope named ranges, referring to old sheets or references, some referring to network shares etc. Once I deleted all of these, refresh time was almost instant - a couple of seconds max.
What's the logic of Power Query getting stuck on all these named ranges, given that they seemed to not really relate to the Table / query in question? I'm guessing the network share type references were the ones killing it, but this means Power Query does something to check these on every refresh?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Thank you for this - I've been trying to debug a query that was pulling in data from a URL that I pick up from a cell in the spreadsheet. It was running ridiculously slow and I kept trying to simplify to troubleshoot up to the point I had a query that was just selecting the text from one cell in an otherwise empty spreadsheet and this was still slow as hell.

The Name Manager revealed that there were a couple of invalid name references and one referencing a range in another excel file on another location which I couldn't access. Deleting these obsolete names seems to have fixed the problem

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back