Obtaining a Unique List of Values for Data Validation

a68tbird

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All -
I have a document that has a table of vendors with the products they sell (and all relevant details for each product, ie. cost, SKU, etc). The table is a few hundred rows long, representing each product available to order. The Vendor column has many repeated entries, as each vendor has their multiple products. I'm trying to make it easy for the user to fill in an order form, using dropdown menus where possible. With Data Validation, List as type and using the formula
Code:
=INDIRECT("tblProducts[Vendor]")
I can get a unique list of the vendors - but only when using Excel online. Opening the workbook in the app, that list is not filtered for distinct entries. I'd like this list to only have unique values when using the app. I thought perhaps I could have a separate table that was just populated with the Vendor names, but UNIQUE in a table produces a #SPILL error. I want to use a table column for the List source so that it remains dynamic. If I were to create a list of vendors using the UNIQUE function just down a range instead of a table, then the List source would become out of sync if a new Vendor gets added to the Products table. That Source formula becomes
Code:
=INDIRECT("Sheet3!$A$1:$A$300")
- a static reference. I could use a Named Range, but then that named range has to be manipulated each time a new vendor is added to the list.

Any suggestions on creating a unique list for data validation?

Thanks very much.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
My apologies - I apparently asked this exact question last summer! LOL. Please ignore the post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back