Obtaining the cell value when the numbers in a particular column switches from positive to negative and vice versa (Excel)

Rickz

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I have a column in Excel with both positive and negative numbers. I would like to receive through VBA a notification on screen every time in the list a number switches sign from one row to the other. The notification is different with a change from positive to negative than from negative to positive. It would also have to indicate at what row that change happens. Also the corresponding values from the cells (of a column K) corresponding to that rows (in which the sign change occurs).

Thank you for your help.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hello,

I have attached a screenshot of the concept which I have mentioned above. In the picture, the value in Column X is changing from positive to negative at one point and at that time I would like to get the value in the Column K (1034.91) on the same row where this sign change occcurs. Unfortunately, I have to deal with around thousand values in Column X and this sign change occurs for a lot of times from positive to negative and vice-versa. So I would like to know a VBA code to get the cell values in Column K whenever there is a sign change occurs in column X (at the same row) as in the picture.

I hope someone can help me with this issue.

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
Is the change from positive to negative or negative to positive the result of a formula in column X? If not, what causes the change?
The notification is different with a change from positive to negative than from negative to positive
How is the notification different with each change?

It is hard to work with a picture. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Yes the sign change happens as a result of the formula in column X. The values in column X are calculated with a formula that contains all the preceding columns values.

Upvote 0
I try to color the cells with purple (positive to negative) and green (neg to pos)
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub test()
Dim lr&, i&, j&
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "X").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 2 To lr - 1
        If Range("X" & i).Value > 0 And Range("X" & i + 1).Value < 0 Then
            Range("X" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 7
            Range("K" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 7
        ElseIf Range("X" & i).Value < 0 And Range("X" & i + 1).Value > 0 Then
            Range("X" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
            Range("K" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
        End If
   Next
End Sub
Capture.JPG

Upvote 0
The values in column X are calculated with a formula that contains all the preceding columns values.
All the preceding columns values (from column A to column W) or perhaps just M:W?

Upvote 0
I try to color the cells with purple (positive to negative) and green (neg to pos)
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub test()
Dim lr&, i&, j&
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "X").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 2 To lr - 1
        If Range("X" & i).Value > 0 And Range("X" & i + 1).Value < 0 Then
            Range("X" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 7
            Range("K" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 7
        ElseIf Range("X" & i).Value < 0 And Range("X" & i + 1).Value > 0 Then
            Range("X" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
            Range("K" & i).Resize(2, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
        End If
   Next
End Sub
View attachment 66775
Hello @bebo021999 ,

I am also getting the cells in different colours by using the code, but what I actually required is to simply get the corresponding values in column K either in a notification box or if possible in a separate sheet. (rather than fromatting with a colour)

Upvote 0
It is only from columns L to W
Thanks for the clarification.

Any chance we could get some small sample data and expected results with XL2BB so that we can copy for testing possible solutions?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back