ODBC Microsoft Access Driver Error - too few parameters expected 1; Access Table Fields Renamed

TyJr303

I need to know how I can update the SQL Command in an excel spreadsheet that is connected to an Access Query where data is refreshed in order to change the names of the fields that is being pulled from the Access Query to match after they were changed. We recently changed the names of the table fields in the Query so I am getting the error message of "too few parameters expected 1". Is there code I can add in the Excel SQL to replace the field names in the mapping to match the new field names in the query so it knows where to pull the data from?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Maybe. The exact syntax will depend on your Excel version.

General idea - that might not be perfect though, depending on the compexity of the queries - might be a simple text replacement in the SQL. So replace old field name by new field name. Be best to back up your file beforehand.

So in Excel 2003, it might be just like below, untested

hth

Code:
const strFieldNameOld as string = "oldname"
const strFieldNameNew as string = "newname"

dim qt as querytable
dim wks as worksheet

for each wks in worksheets
for each qt in wks.querytables
debug.print vbcr & "before on worksheet " wks.name & vbcr & qt.sql 'to see what it looks like before
qt.sql=replace$(qt.sql,strfieldnameold,strfieldnamenew)
debug.print vbcr & "after" & vbcr & qt.sql & vbcr 'to see what it looks like after
qt.refresh'may as well refresh it while we're here
next qt
next wks
set qt = nothing
set wks=nothing

Upvote 0
Maybe. The exact syntax will depend on your Excel version.

General idea - that might not be perfect though, depending on the compexity of the queries - might be a simple text replacement in the SQL. So replace old field name by new field name. Be best to back up your file beforehand.

So in Excel 2003, it might be just like below, untested

hth

Code:
const strFieldNameOld as string = "oldname"
const strFieldNameNew as string = "newname"

dim qt as querytable
dim wks as worksheet

for each wks in worksheets
for each qt in wks.querytables
debug.print vbcr & "before on worksheet " wks.name & vbcr & qt.sql 'to see what it looks like before
qt.sql=replace$(qt.sql,strfieldnameold,strfieldnamenew)
debug.print vbcr & "after" & vbcr & qt.sql & vbcr 'to see what it looks like after
qt.refresh'may as well refresh it while we're here
next qt
next wks
set qt = nothing
set wks=nothing

Thank you for the Info. Let's say I have a basic query that is pulling employee names and I am updating it through the embedded excel file. If we change the name of the table field in access from "Name" to "EmployeeName" how can I update the field name in my excel Sql command with code based on the below:
SELECT qryEmployeeDepartment.EmployeeName
FROM `DATABASE\db1`.qryEmployeeDepartment qryEmployeeDepartment

I need to know the code to do the change instead of manually as this is just a basic example and i will need to do this for very large databases with lots of field updates.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back