Office 2010: How to Create Shortcut Bar ??

monirg

Hello;

1) The Shortcut Bar tool was a great feature in the earlier Office versions, and I can envisage an extended use of it on my new laptop, assuming I’m able to successfully install it in Office 2010.

2) It is missing in Office 2010. MS decided to remove the feature for whatever reason!
There was also no Shortcut Bar in Office 2003, but I had copied it from an earlier version of Office, and it’s been working perfectly since on two other computers running Win XP.

3) I thought of copying the Shortcut Bar tool from Office 2003 to Office 2010, but I changed my mind in the last minute for fear of impeding the functionality of the Office programs somehow, since Office 2010 is different than Office 2003, Windows 7 is different than Windows XP, different system files, different folders, different system structure, etc..

Has anyone successfully created Shortcut Bar in Office 2010 (Win 7) and would be kind enough to share how-to ??

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi Wigi;

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Will access the link shortly.

Regards.

Upvote 0
Hello;

1) The idea of using Windows 7 Toolbars feature appeared to be a reasonable alternative to the Office 2010 (missing!) Shortcut Bar.

2) The difficulty has been the inability to move the ctreated toolbar from the Taskbar to anywhere on the Desktop.

3) MS Office Support Online has just advised that there’re NO practical or feasible solution to the two issues:
i--> can't create a Shortcut Bar in Office 2010
(it could possibly be loaded from Office XP by following a 5-step procedure if you have the disk, but no guarantee the feature would work. I don’t have Office XP, and I don't think it’s worth trying anyway!)
ii--> can't move/send to/drag/unpin a user’s created toolbar from the Taskbar to the Desktop (Win 7 Pro)

Regards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just set up a new computer using Windows 7 and Office 2010, and missed having the Shortcut bar, which I've used for years. I still had my old Office 2000 CD and used it to do a custom install, selecting only the shortcut bar. I then found it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\1033 folder under its name msoffice.exe. The shortcut bar came up as expected and now reloads whenever I restart Windows.

Upvote 0
There's an alternative called Freebar if you want to try that out.
Are you planning on using it to launch Office apps? If so, why not just pin the app to your launch menu? Then you get a listing of the past 15 - 20 files opened in that application as well. Of course, I could be missing something...

Denis

Upvote 0
I have been using the office toolbar for a very long time in both a windows XP & Windows 7 environment. I current use office 2007. The way I install it is as follows:
1. Install a copy of office 2000 and make sure that you do a custom install and select the toolbar. I think this is the last version where the toolbar appeared.
2. Launch the office shortcut bar so that it appears on the desktop.
3. Then install what ever other copy of office that you want either 2007 or 2010. Office will upgrade all of your office applications to the new version but will not touch the office toolbar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back