Office 2016 freezing up, it's a DISASTER

JytteC

Board Regular
I just got a new PC, Windows 10 and Office 2016. LORD HELP ME, because Microsoft don't seem able to.

I have had Office 2003 for 12 years, running on Windows XP for eight years. I use Excel extensively all day long for my work. Have many files running simultaneously and interconnected, and many macros to streamline my work. And it has worked flawlessly all those years. I loved my Excel and XP.

THEN I needed a new PC. The files got bigger and bigger, and my old machine had a hard time keeping up. Time for a new one, bigger and faster. Got my new PC on Dec.28,2015. I knew already that it was born with Windows 10,and having seen Windows 8.1 on another PC, 10 seems like an improvement. After installing Classic Shell I'm back to having a PC I can live with, and 'up to date'. So far so good.

Back in the day I paid good money for Office 2003, and it's still excellent. But now I'm forced to get a new Office, as Windows no longer support the old program. I just love having to pay over and over for the same software, thank you very much. Then I discover I can only buy a 'key' not the software. Why in God's name you can't buy a disc with the software any more is beyond me. Now, key in hand, you have to download the software, taking FOREVER, as I live in the middle of nowhere in Germany.

First shock: All my menus are gone. Instead I have a ribbon, that takes up way too much space, and is utterly useless, as I now need 3-4 clicks to do things I previously did with 1 or 2. Spending time on setting up a quick access bar has solved some of that at least, but I still lament the good old menus!

Second shock: The ****ed thing keeps freezing up, leaving me no alternative but to shoot it down via task manager. It is completely unstable. I crashes 10 times or more during a work day, leaving me no alternative than to basically save and copy every few seconds, or else start all over on what I'm doing. At least I can recover from the crashes this way.

3rd shock: Most of my macros no longer worked. Had to go through through each and every one and make changes, and I have a lot of macros. That's a couple of days of my life I won't get back. And still there are issues. Printing to Pdf, that I've been doing for many years without a problem, now creates huge files, more than 10 times bigger than before. I can't have that. Only option I have at the moment is to do all these 'print to pdf' manually, which defeats the purpose of macros and takes way too long.

My workday has turned into a nightmare! When I have a customer on the phone, they don't really want to hear 'sorry but my software just crashed so you'll have to wait'.

I just spent a pile of money to get the biggest, newest machine and software out there, and what I got is a computer that can't do the work.

Time to contact Microsoft Tech Support. So after a long day's work, around 5 pm, I did. Got hold of a tech on chat. Explained up and down the issues. Tech started having a look. Chat ended abruptly. I simply got kicked off the connection. What, Microsoft can't even keep their support lines up and running?

Techs 2, 3 and 4.... having to explain all over again to each of course, same result. Most of what I got while I WAS connected was 'I don't know this, maybe you should call the german hotline, here's the number and they're open 24/7'. Well they're not! They're open the exact same day-hours I am, so when am I supposed to call them? While I have my customers calling me???

Then I figure this ain't gonna work, so go on various Microsoft tech support pages listing problems like this (lo and behold I'm not the only one). ONE of the brilliant advice they give is to go to your software listing in control panel and run a 'repair online' on Office. So I did. Well.... it did NOT repair anything. What it did was give me an error message, and then WIPE Office off my PC! I'm not kidding.

So now I'm faced with having to re-install Office. Go to my account page and go through the ropes. Error message 'no permission'. Twice. THAT's when my biggest melt down hit! Anybody from Microsoft within my reach at that point in time would have been a head shorter, I can promise you that.

Back to good ol' tech support. Tech no.5 first of all figured out there was a mess on Microsoft's side (big surprise), and after some searching she managed to find the software that matched my key. Installing. Error message. Then took remote control of my PC to do some cleanup of things left behind by the so-called 'repair'. Well that managed to crash my PC, and that was the end of that connection. No.5, as I warned her of the disconnect risk, gave me a re-join link, but THEY DON'T WORK, they just get you a new tech. Useless.

Mind you, it's now around 11pm, I've been on the computer for over 15 hours fighting these problems. With tech support for over 6 hours, and I still have no software at all. I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep my usually friendly and polite manner of speaking.

Enter tech no.6. She first had to take an earful from me. She took it like a trooper. Apologized profusely (they all do, and of what use is that? Don't apologize, FIX it.) Anyway, no.6 was more astute, gave me a case number so at least I didn't have to explain all over again. Then went to work. I think no.5 did manage to clean up the mess from repair, and she also found the right software, so no.6 was able to get an install started. It did install, and did pick up my previous settings, so that was good. I had some more questions, and then.... my internet connection died. Oh thank you so much GERMAN TELECOM!

After an hour my connection came back, and I got an email form No.6 asking if Office was up and running. I appreciated that, and told her it was. At 2am I crawled into bed, utterly exhausted.

So, I get up this morning, gingerly starting up Excel, hoping for the best, but not trusting any of it, so I'm still doing my saving/copying/printing routines over and over again. It's a light day, so a few hours go by and I'm starting to think I'm out of the woods.... then CRASH. Back to square one.

Tech No.6's take on things was that Office was installed before I upgraded to version 1511 of Windows. And that installing clean AFTER the 1511 update would do the trick. Well, it didn't.

So I ask you, any of you, what on earth am I supposed to do now? I have work to do, and Microsoft has left me with a software that doesn't work and no way of going back.

I also would like to ask, why in God's name they release software this unstable???????????????? And with no warnings, nor any fixes in place. Tech support are as lost in the fog as I am.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I am right Aren't I, There isn't a question is there? You just needed to vent, I have office 10, excel 2016 and have no issues, in fact, I was delighted to discover that I had a date time picker in my forms menu... Happy days. alas, you will not have had the pleasure of not having one going from 2003 to 2016. There is no sunny side for you.

Upvote 0
Thats a right horrror, my 2016 deleted my 2013 install with no prompting and took over all the associations which Win 10 makes really difficult to associate. Point of my response

have a look at this, specifically hardware acceleration > https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2768648, but note that MS thinks that the PC may crash

Upvote 0
Yes, I needed to vent. But yes, there IS a question, namely: does anybody have any advice to offer??
So, you have Excel 2016 on Windows 10 and no problems? Good for you :) Are you also on version 1511 of Windows 10?

Upvote 0
mole999, I did have a look, and that's one page I didn't see before, so thank you for the pointer :)
As this is a brand new PC, and all installations and drivers are up to date, this doesn't really seem like a solutions, but at this stage I'm willing to try anything, so I just disabled hardware graphics accelerations in Excel. I'll run a few tests, and tomorrow during the day I guess I'll see if I still get crashes.

Upvote 0
Sorry mate, not reading all that :p hope you're query gets resolved!

Upvote 0
I'm Sorry JytteC

I didn't mean to be that flippant....I couldn't stop myself once I got going....It's one of my strengths.

I do hope you get sorted.

Upvote 0
No problem Dryver14, but would you please tell me if you are on Windows 10 version 1511? That could be important.

Upvote 0
mine is 1511, MS installs updates and I get issues with updates, though this machine has been 7, then 8, then 8.1 before 10 one on top of the other

Upvote 0
After buying a new computer I always suggest installing all your software and updates and test every thing out for several days before bringing it into the office and planning to rely on it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back