Offset Filename

ruckuz

Hi,
I'm trying to get just the filename and i used this formula, =MID(CELL("filename",E30),90,13). the formula works fine until there's more characters then it doesn't capture what is need and i would need to change the "13" to a 14 or 15 depending on how many more characters. I know the offset formula will work but it's a tricky formula & i still haven't gotten it down.

S:\FinancialStatements\FinancialStatements\Route66\2019\02February2019[GLDetail-February2019.xlsx]Recon

<tbody>
</tbody>

Above is the file name. i'm just trying to capture the month and year of the file and like i said the mid formula works until it's the next month then i'll need to change the mid formula. what's the formula for offset so i don't need to change the formula every month? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Can you do it by finding the square brackets, e.g.:
=MID(CELL("filename",E30),FIND("[",CELL("filename",E30))+10,FIND("]",CELL("filename",E30))-FIND("[",CELL("filename",E30))-14)
You may need to adjust the +10 and -14 figures to start with (as I haven't been able to test it), but once you have the right numbers, there's no need to change them each month.

Upvote 0
Try this

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(CELL("filename",E30),"]",REP(" ",500)),SEARCH("[",CELL("filename",E30))+1,100))

Upvote 0
It is right.
with pleasure. thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back