Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a cell reference that displays a data table
='Base Data'!U4:AJ5

The data table in U4 to AJ5 is dynamic (but always ends in row 5) so was wondering if I can somehow offset the "AJ5" part of the formula. I want the "AJ5" part to change based on the last nonzero value in the row.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I will suggest it anyway.

The C3 array-formula reckons the text of the relevant range in my reference range (that being D5:Q5), which is D5 to M5 (M5 being the most-right column that has no zero). The C5 formula uses that text as the argument REF in function INDIRECT; note that this argument cannot have the C3 formula pasted into it because C3 contains an array, which INDIRECT chokes on - so C3 will just have to reside on the sheet somewhere as a helper-formula. The C6 formula is proof that the algorithm works, because it correctly reports the sum of the range C5:Q5 as being 213.

BCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQ
3relevant rangeD5:M5
5indirect#VALUE!664322520336990
6summation213

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet4

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
C5=INDIRECT(C3)
C6=SUM(INDIRECT(C3))

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
C3{=ADDRESS(ROW(D5),COLUMN(D5),4)&":"&SUBSTITUTE(ADDRESS(ROW(D5),MAX(COLUMN(D5:Q5)*(D5:Q5<>0)),4),"1","")}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try to enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Your formula worked to get the dynamic range, noted in green in your example. I have a picture that references the table currently like "=U5:AJ5" and this works, so I am trying to get the table referenced in the picture to automatically update. Any way to do this with your formula? When I reference an indirect cell, I am getting an error. Thanks, should have been more descriptive in the initial post.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back