OFFSET & MATCH - help with syntax

tbablue

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
=OFFSET(ECWP!$D$6,MATCH('CHART DATA'!$B$2,ECWP!$E$6:$E$887,0),9,COUNTIF(ECWP!$E$6:$E$887,'CHART DATA'!$B$2))

Any help appreciated! I think I've just been staring at this for too long and can't see the wood for the trees.

I'm trying to use OFFSET & MATCH in tandem. Obviously, something is in error; this formula only seems to work when it's been 'dragged' through several rows of the same column - even though all the references are absolute!

Am I just missing something really fundamental? Any ideas? Maybe I just need someone to read the syntax of this argument.

Cheers.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Can you describe what you're trying to do?

Is this a standadlone formula or part of a bigger formula. As it stands it will return a range of values from column M....is that the right column? To see all the values the formula would need to be array entered in a range, not array entered and copied......

It would make more sense to me if the D6 was E5, then you'd be retrieving values from column N.....

Upvote 0
You're returning an array -- not a single value. If you added COUNT() around it, you'd probably get an answer every time.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your attention.

'CHART DATA'!$B$2, - is an input cell (in this case a job number)

MATCH('CHART DATA'!$B$2,ECWP!$E$6:$E$887,0) - I'm checking for the first matching instance of the applicable job number (within column E ECWP!) to establish the row

,9, - Yes, column M of ECWP! is my target column from which I want my returns

COUNTIF(ECWP!$E$6:$E$887,'CHART DATA'!$B$2) - to tell me how many applicable returns there are within column M.

I thought the OFFSET & MATCH function in tandem would work just fine. Maybe an array is what I need true enough. Can you help?

I'm searching for value - always from 'CHART DATA'!$B$2

checking that against values from ECWP!$E$6:$E$887

and where a match is found return the corresponding value from ECWP!$M$6:$M$887

Any help offered really would be most welcomed

Cheers

Upvote 0
I think what you want is:

=INDEX(ECWP!M:M,MATCH('CHART DATA'!$B$2,ECWP!$E$6:$E$887,0))

Find B2 in E6:E887, and return the corresponding value in column M

Upvote 0
Sounds like you want to return several values from column M where column E matches 'CHART DATA'!$B$2, in which case, assuming you want the first value in A5 put this formula in that cell

=IF(ROWS(A$5:A5)>COUNTIF(ECWP!E$6:E$887,'CHART DATA'!B$2),"",INDEX(ECWP!M$6:M$887,SMALL(IF(ECWP!E$6:E$887='CHART DATA'!B$2,ROW(ECWP!E$6:E$887)-ROW(ECWP!E$6)+1),ROWS(A$5:A5))))

confirm with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER and copy down

Upvote 0
Thanks again guys

Help appreciated. Barry - your understanding of my requirement was correct; I've amended the array formula to suit. Sal - appreciation to you too.

Cheers

Upvote 0
as an amendment....

=IF(ROWS(A$5:A5)>COUNTIF(ECWP!E$6:E$887,'CHART DATA'!B$2),"",INDEX(ECWP!M$6:M$887,SMALL(IF(ECWP!E$6:E$887='CHART DATA'!B$2,ROW(ECWP!E$6:E$887)-ROW(ECWP!E$6)+1),ROWS(A$5:A5))))

works perfectly for my initial purpose. However, i'd like to now be able to drag this across columns as well as down rows.

Simply, the array formula, as is, searches for values in 'CHART DATA'!$B$2, checks that value against values from ECWP!$E$6:$E$887 & returns the corresponding value from ECWP!$M$6:$M$887 when a match is found. Using the example detailed above as an instance, I'd like to now drag this array formula into the adjacent column and have it return corresponding values from ECWP!N$6:N$887 instead of ECWP!M$6:M$887, and so on.....(my target column changing as I drag the array formula across columns). I thought it would be as simple as making the column references 'relative' as oppposed to 'absolute' - but they already appear to be absolute so I've kinda run out of knowledge.

Any assistance welcomed and gratefully received.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spenstar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back