Offset named ranges do not appear in Name Box

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
If I define a named range that is the result of Offset, that name does not appear in the Name Box.

I assigned the name "Header" to B2. If I select B2, "Header" appears in the name box.
1612293061053.png

I then assigned the names V_1 & V_2 to B3 & B4 using Offset.
1612293276159.png

But these assigned names do not appear in the name box when selecting B3 or B4.
1612293390903.png

Also, why does the Name Manager show "{...}" for the value in these cells, rather than "V1" and "V2"?

Try doing a cut/paste with V_1. The value will move but not the cell holding the name. As Fluff said, names having a formula in Refers To: don't appear in the Name box. But Excel provides another way to check their location by using the GoTo dialog box.
Aha! I didn't get it the first time. You comment about moving the cells around confused me. I see now that I can use F5 to verify that V_1 is where I want it to be.

Still, I am not letting M$FT off the hook for not doing it the right (IMHO) way.

Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Aha! I didn't get it the first time. You comment about moving the cells around confused me. I see now that I can use F5 to verify that V_1 is where I want it to be.

Still, I am not letting M$FT off the hook for not doing it the right (IMHO) way.

Thanks for the tip.
You are welcome - thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
You mean your way, not the "right way".
IMO you are wrong, the last thing I want, if I have multiple dynamic ranges, is for Xl to be recalculating them at the drop of a hat & killing my workbook.
Yes, my way, of course -- same as you. :giggle:

I'll admit that I don't understand much of the inner workings of Excel and I don't own a hat, but it seems to me that when I select a cell, any "recalculating" has been done and the sheet is static at that point. All Excel has to do is process that one formula in the assigned name. How much of a risk is that to "killing" your whole workbook?

ymmv

Upvote 0
For the names you have got, there wouldn't be much of a problem, but you often see dynamic ranges using a formula such as
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1)
especially when using data validation. If you had a lot of them it could cause problems.

Upvote 0
I just discovered another very bad (IMHO) side effect of Excel's failure to properly resolve formula-based cell names. If I select a cell that uses one of these named ranges, Excel highlights the base cell in the Offset function, not the actual cell.

1612299741616.png

"=V_1" references B3, not B2.

Upvote 0
For the names you have got, there wouldn't be much of a problem, but you often see dynamic ranges using a formula such as
Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$2,,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$A:$A)-1)
especially when using data validation. If you had a lot of them it could cause problems.
Even if I had a million of them, Excel would only have to resolve the one in question, not all million.

Upvote 0
Excel does not "know" what cells an offset formula is looking at until it's evaluated, which is why it's a volatile function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back