offset

tomk

I want to create a formula that identifies a reference cell based on the value it contains, then finds and uses the value contained in another cell a designated number of columns to the right of that reference cell. As an added complication, the position of the reference cell may change within a designated range.
Can this be accomplished using OFFSET?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
On 2002-09-03 08:39, tomk wrote:
I want to create a formula that identifies a reference cell based on the value it contains, then finds and uses the value contained in another cell a designated number of columns to the right of that reference cell. As an added complication, the position of the reference cell may change within a designated range.
Can this be accomplished using OFFSET?

Give an example with cells specified?

Upvote 0
For my OFFSET question, an example:

On worksheet 1, D9 contains the text value 'Team 1'. E9 contains the numeric value 7 (runs scored). F9 contains the numeric value 2 (points earned). I want to use OFFSET in a distant cell (eg E45) to enter the value 2 (points earned by Team 1).

On worksheet 2, G13 contains the text value 'Team 1'. H13 contains the numeric value 1 (runs scored). I13 contains the numeric value 0 (points earned). I want to again use OFFSET in the same distant cell (E45) to enter the value 0 (points earned by Team 1).

Is OFFSET what I need to use?
If so, how do I avoid getting error messages if either the text value 'Team 1' is not present in any cell within the designated range or there is no numeric entry in the cell two columns to the right of the cell coontaining 'Team 1'.

Upvote 0
Try using SUMIF. If 'Team 1' text isn't present and/or 'points earned' are blank, result will be zero.

E45 = SUMIF(D9:D15,"Team 1",F9:F15), assuming game data goes thru row 15.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back