Offsetting a formula

ChristineJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to return what a formula would be if a variable number of rows and columns (shown in A2 and A3) were inserted above a cell containing a formula. Example:

Cell A2 = 2
Cell A3 = 3
Cell C3 contains the formula =D1+B2 that returns an amount:
Cell D3 contains =FORMULATEXT(C3) that returns =D1+B2

Is there a way to return the formula =F4+D5 as text in Cell E3. This is determined by "adding" 2 (from A2) to the letter of each cell reference and 3 (from A3) to the number of each cell reference?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Is it always just addition of cells?

ChristineJ_1.xlsm
ABCDE
3310=D1+B2=F4+D5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3C3=D1+B2
D3D3=FORMULATEXT(C3)
E3E3=LET(ind,INDIRECT(TEXTSPLIT(MID(D3,2,LEN(D3)),"+")),"="&TEXTJOIN("+",,ADDRESS(ROW(ind)+A3,COLUMN(ind)+A2,4)))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to enter a formula in a comment box that is "dynamic".

I am getting a #VALUE error - I have Office 365 but wonder if the LET function is not available. In any case, this is a bit complex for what I am doing since I have a number of formulas and they are not limited to addition. I will try another approach of creating the comment boxes after rows and columns are inserted above and to the left.

Appreciate all the help - I wish I could create such complex formulas! Christine

Upvote 0
I am getting a #VALUE error - I have Office 365 but wonder if the LET function is not available.
It would more likely be the TEXTSPLIT function if there is one that you don't have. However, if you were missing any of the functions that I used in the formula then I would expect a #NAME? error, not #VALUE.
It is easy to check if you have the functions. In a blank cell type = and then start typing the function name. If you have the function it should appear as shown below

1670807802039.png
1670807757663.png

In any case, this is a bit complex for what I am doing since I have a number of formulas and they are not limited to addition. I will try another approach ..
OK, fair enough. Thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back