MarshHill

Hello,

I am having issues with the following code in Excel 2010:

Dim i As Long
Dim NewBottomRow as Double
Dim Row as String

For i = 1 To NewBottomRow - 1
On Error GoTo Hop
Row = Split(ActiveCell(1).Address(1, 0), "$")(1)
Selection.Value = WorksheetFunction.Average(Range("A" & Row, ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1)))
Hop:
Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
Next

When there are no issues with the numbers that the worksheetfunction.average is picking up, it runs fine. sometimes, however, there will be a line with no numbers and the average function will not work. I am trying to get the macro to skip the line without any numbers, but the "On Error GoTo Hop" has not been working for me. All variables are declared and my error trapping is not set up to stop at everything.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You need a Resume statement to reset the error - Goto on its own is not enough. I'd skip the selection and use On Error Resume Next since all you want to do is ignore the error:

Code:
On Error Resume Next
    With ActiveCell.Offset(i - 1)
        .Value = WorksheetFunction.Average(Cells(.Row, "A"), .Offset(i - 1, -1))
    End With
Next
On Error GoTo 0

Upvote 0
You need a Resume statement to reset the error - Goto on its own is not enough. I'd skip the selection and use On Error Resume Next since all you want to do is ignore the error:

Code:
On Error Resume Next
    With ActiveCell.Offset(i - 1)
        .Value = WorksheetFunction.Average(Cells(.Row, "A"), .Offset(i - 1, -1))
    End With
Next
On Error GoTo 0

Thanks Rory,

I am actually still having issues even with your correction. I had tried using an "On Error Resume Next" to no avail originally, and I did like the revisions you made to the code. But I am still getting "Run-time error '1001': Unable to get the Average property of the WorksheetFunction Class".

I'm considering just deleting the row if it has no data in it, but it would be nice to know why this will not work!

Again, thanks for the reply Rory,

-Marshall

Upvote 0
you could something like the below. this will give you an idea as to where to go to complete the task.

How it works

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub avg()
Dim lrow As Long
Dim rng, cell, rng1, cell1 As Range
Dim i, j As Variant
Dim sh As Worksheet

'**************************************************************************************
'   set your sheet variable (this is down and dirty so i used activesheet - don't
'**************************************************************************************
Set sh = ActiveSheet

With sh
'   Find last row of data (substitute "A" with what ever column letter has your
'   complete data in it
    lrow = Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

'   set rng range variable to the cell I want my average value to appear in
    Set rng = Range(.Cells(1, 3), .Cells(lrow, 3))

'   FOR EACH loop to move through each cell in my rng range
    For Each cell In rng

'   set rng1 to the cell one column to the left of the active cell in rng
'   set cell1 to the cell two columns to the left of the active cell in rng
'   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'       if you need more columns then set your ranges to include the values
'   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Set rng1 = Cells(cell.Row, cell.Offset(, -1).Column)
        Set cell1 = Cells(cell.Row, cell.Offset(, -2).Column)

'   if both rng1 and cell1 are empty do nothing
            If rng1.Value = "" And cell1.Value = "" Then
            Else
'   if one or the other is empty then simply divide the non-empty cell by two
                If rng1.Value = "" Or cell1.Value = "" Then
                    If rng1.Value = "" Then
'   set your sheet variable (this is down and dirty so i used activesheet - don't
                        cell.Formula = WorksheetFunction.Sum(cell1 / 2)
                    Else
                        cell.Formula = WorksheetFunction.Sum(rng1 / 2)
                    End If
                Else
'   when both are occupied get your average
                    cell.Formula = WorksheetFunction.Average(rng1, cell1)
                End If
            End If

Next cell
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back