OnAction / Cannot run the macro 'x' - The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled

relaxok

Hi there - I'm the guy responsible for all the VBA in our workplace for the last decade or so.

All of a sudden, presumably due to a forced Windows or Office update, myself and everyone else are getting the error in the subject above, in one particular case that it's never happened before.

Cannot run the macro ''Macros.xlsm'!'UTILITY_HideOrShow "8111","8151'', The macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled'
(example error)

More specifically the macro is triggered when clicking one of many 'expand' buttons on a table of contents type page - the macro is UTILITY_HideOrShow - a public sub in a public module and it takes 2 parameters for the beginning and end row to hide/unhide. It is in a separate .xlsm document and for the last 8-10 years has worked like this. The button's macro is assigned like so:

VBA Code:
With targetCell
    Set btn = ws.Buttons.Add(.Left, .Top, .Width, .Height)
    btn.text = "+"
    OnActionString = "'UTILITY_HideOrShow """ & CStr(startRow + 1) & """,""" & CStr(endRow) & "'"
    btn.OnAction = OnActionString
End With

The table of contents page is generated by a nightly process - so I tried changing things around such that the hide or show macro was in the generated workbook itself, and not the separate 'macro' workbook. However, I get a version of the same error when doing that.

I also tried having OnAction associated with a simple test macro without parameters (in case parameter were an issue), both in the macros doc and in the workbook i'm generating - and got the same error. it's almost like OnAction on buttons is no longer able to 'find' any macros. It knows which macro the workbook is in because the error message says the name of the macro workbook.

I also noticed that the quoting looks odd, in that the 2nd parameter has no double quote at the end but it was working like that all this time. I tried messing around with that to no avail and as I said above, tried removing parameters altogether.

Does anybody have any advice here?

Did anything change with a recent Excel update that requires changes from me in settings or the workbook itself?

Are you guys able to trigger macros with OnAction on a button still?

This is Excel version 2110 in Office 365.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The Microsoft release notes for 2110 don't indicate anything.

1. Have you checked the Trust Center security settings on your new install?

2. Have you gone back to basics?

VBA Code:
Sub ButtonTest()
    Dim btn As Button
    Set btn = ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(10, 10, 50, 20)
    btn.Text = "+"
    OnActionString = "HW"
    btn.OnAction = OnActionString
End Sub

Sub HW()
  Debug.Print "Hello World!"
End Sub

Will the macros run if you call them another way, say by using and ActiveX command button instead of a form button?

Upvote 0
Goto macro security settings & check the box marked "enable Excel 4.0 macros" & see if that works.

Upvote 0
Goto macro security settings & check the box marked "enable Excel 4.0 macros" & see if that works.

YES, thank you so much!

God that's so strange, how are they Excel 4.0 macros? What determines that?

Thank you to all that responded.

Upvote 0
You maybe using one of the old Excel4macro functions in your code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back