One Cell Down with Left hand

newshound12

I would like to move one cell down using ONLY the Left hand on the left side of the keyboard and One Key.

I don't want to use the Enter key or the Down arrow key or a relative Macro that would require the use of the control key and a letter.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Use this code:

Code:
Sub SetKey()
    Application.OnKey "\", "MyDown"
End Sub

Sub ResetKey()
    Application.OnKey "\"
End Sub

Sub MyDown()
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
End Sub

Run SetKey to set the backslash character to behave like the Down arrow. Run RestKey to restore to normal.

Upvote 0
Using the backslash key would require the Right side of the keyboard.
It didn't work anyway.

How can I use F2 to make it move down one cell?

Upvote 0
newshound12 said:
Using the backslash key would require the Right side of the keyboard.
It didn't work anyway.

How can I use F2 to make it move down one cell?

For me the backslash is the key next to Shift on the left hand side of the keyboard. The one on the right is the forward slash. Maybe that#'s why it didn't work.

Upvote 0
No, I think his keyboard may be like mine here at work, with both the \ and / keys on the right side of the keyboard.

I tried your above code and could only get it to work once I moved the MyDown macro to it's own module. Then it worked fine.

As for changing it to the F2 key, just put {F2} in place of the slash in the quotes.

Upvote 0
Von Pookie said:
No, I think his keyboard may be like mine here at work, with both the \ and / keys on the right side of the keyboard.

I tried your above code and could only get it to work once I moved the MyDown macro to it's own module. Then it worked fine.

As for changing it to the F2 key, just put {F2} in place of the slash in the quotes.

I tested the code before I posted it and it worked fine all in one module.

What's next to Shift on the left side of your keyboard then? It wouldn't be difficult to change my code to accommodate that key. I wouldn't want to use F2 - that's Edit, which I use all the time.

Upvote 0
Andrew Poulsom said:
I tested the code before I posted it and it worked fine all in one module.

I was assuming it would as well. Although I had just pasted everything into ThisWorkbook, so perhaps that had something to do with it. It kept telling me it couldn't find 'Book1!MyDown' macro. After I moved that to a separate module, it worked fine.

What's next to Shift on the left side of your keyboard then? It wouldn't be difficult to change my code to accommodate that key. I wouldn't want to use F2 - that's Edit, which I use all the time.

On my keyboard here? Nothing. I have tab, caps lock, shift and control going down the left side. But directly to the right of the left shift key are the letter keys. The \ is directly above the enter key and the / directly to the left of the right-shift key, as well as the number keypad.

I personally wouldn't use F2 either, but he asked. I just figured he'd run the reset macro if he needed to use it's actual function. *shrug*

Upvote 0
The backslash key did work when I put it in its on module;
so did th F2 key when I substituted it for the backslash key in the macros.

This is for a laptop user who wanted the left hand to use the left side of the keyboard because the right hand was entering numbers from the number row of the keyboard and using the enter key or the down arrow was slowing up the process.

Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back