OneStopShop Timetracking Worksheet - Help with Data Entry

Bette980

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hey there,

first of all I wanted to say thank you for all the great pieces of advice in this community. I was able to solve some major pains I have come across while working on my excel projects and I am amazed that I continue to learn everyday, even though I am not a techie. ?

However, I have actually stumbled over a problem I was not able to solve:

I plan to create a one-stop-shop timetracking sheet for my project employees.

So far I was able to successfully implement a "rolling" calendar week/work day calendar which automatically switches according to the year of the project.

I was also able to figure out how to "jump" to the column with today's date by the click of a button.

Now comes the kicker: in my vision, as I work with complete dinosaurs when it comes to explanations/instructions on how to use a tool, I want to make it as simple as possible.
For this, I would like to have a dropdown with all the names of the employees that dynamically alters the document at hand.
This means that once an employee selects his/her name, the table dynamically changes and the historic data given by this person for each day is shown as well as the possibility to enter data for this user only.

What I had in mind as a solution was that once the name in the dropdown is selected, excel draws the data from another (let's call it RAW_DATA) sheet which I can hide, so people won't have to bother (and don't destroy it in the process). It would also write in this employee's table in the RAW_DATA sheet, once any time is tracked). How could I best achieve this? Is this more of a task for VBA or rather INDEX/INDIRECT?

For better reference: Time data is actually tracked in Range E9:IJ22, the dropdown for the employees is in B6. I could not upload a screenshot because even with the smallest picture, the attachment seemed to be too large.

I would appreciate any help or any pointer in any direction as I have spent quite some hours on this and start to become frustrated.

Greetings,
Bette

I also thought about more simple solutions, but since there will be many employees on this project, a single sheet for every employee is impractical and since we also track more than one dimension (which task worked on, etc.), I can't fit the employees name into the table itself, so I figured it would be best if the table changed once a selection for the employee is made.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
In my opinion, this could be done in Excel, but it's kind of like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. This is really more of an Access database kind of problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back