OOPS. Help

Johnstog

Board Regular
I just accidentally hit "Delete Sheet" (of course without saving). Is there a way to recover? It is not allowing me to "Undo" it give me a faded "Can't Undo".

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
If you truly have not saved the workbook, then close the workbook without saving it (answer No to save if prompted at close) and when you reopen it, the sheets will be back in place, with any other changes you made also not saved.

Upvote 0
Well if that's the case, it technically won't re-open, it is regarded as never having existed, and unfortunately you are out of luck, sorry to be the bearer of that bad news.

Upvote 0
Of course it was a new workbook never saved, so it will re-open as a blank workbook.

I had a similar problem a long time ago, and someone showed me how to retrieve my files. I'm not sure but I think this is the method they used.

With Windows XP and admin privileges you do a system restore (start-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->system restore

This let's you go back to a restore date without losing data.

It's probably a shot in the dark. But hopefully, you can get your worksheet back.

Upvote 0
Ouch, times like this is when it is good to reiterate the "save early, save often" motto.:(

Upvote 0
For future use - this is radical, but if the cost is that great:

Immediately upon realizing the mishap (deleting a sheet that is not saved anywhere), crash Excel with a Task Manager or a task killer, or if you can't do that, unpower the PC (any way other than with the PC's "on" button). Restart, take the auto recover file, and see if your data is there.

Auto recover information is collected/updated periodically, and you may land in between updates if the fates fell such. The interval is shown in menu Tools/Options/Save in XL07 (probably same for earlier versions).

Personally I don't trust autorecovered files, suspicious of them being corrupt (which is severe and subtle and should be avoided). You might want to just paste the recovered data to a new workbook, which is what I do in that case. Others think nothing of going on with autorecovered files (say, after a power outage), so it's up to you.

Again, this is radical, and may not be worth it unless the loss is high otherwise.

As I recall, Autorecover is available in XL00+; I know it's in XL02+

Upvote 0
Absolutely amazing! I tried out the task manager - kill process option as a test:

Immediately upon realizing the mishap (deleting a sheet that is not saved anywhere), crash Excel with a Task Manager or a task killer, or if you can't do that, unpower the PC (any way other than with the PC's "on" button). Restart, take the auto recover file, and see if your data is there.

And it really does work! This will certainly be added to my toolbag!

Upvote 0
Cooler Heads do prevail:
It's difficult to recall the "simple fix", a "onosecond" after hitting the Enter key. - This applies to my primary vocation as a 3-D CAD drafter; some of those softwares require more involved fixes (we can forget the simplest things when our hearts are "beating in the back of our throats").

onosecond: ("OH-NO! Second")adjective/noun/verb.
1. The instant your brain tells you that "You Shouldn't have done that!".

Upvote 0
I'm in a rare mood just now...flush with excitement over crashing my computer... :devilish: And I've just found a website that promises crash my system with recursive frame calls, if only I hit the big red button.

This may be my last post at MrExcel.com. Glad to know you, boys...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back