Open Excel File and Write to it from Another VBA Application

Rekd

Banned
I'm looking for a way to open excel and write to it from another VBA enabled application. I can open the file I want using:
Code:
Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objExcel.Visible = True
objExcel.Workbooks.open ("C:\BoxSizes.xls")

And I can loop through the solidworks files using:

Code:
    strPath = "C:\Temp\"
    strFile = Dir(strPath)
    Do While strFile <> ""
        x = x + 1

Debug.Print strFile

strFile = Dir   ' Get next entry.
    Loop

But I'm not sure how to write the values I get from Solidworks into the cells.

Here's what I'm doing...

I created a macro in Solidworks (Uses the same VBA editor that Office uses) to loop through all the files in a folder and create a sort of bounding box around the part, (getting the length, width and height) then parsing the largest of the 3 for output to the Excel file with the file's name and some other config data.

The spreadsheet will look something like this:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 298pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=396 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 86pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4169" width=114><COL style="WIDTH: 45pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2194" width=60><COL style="WIDTH: 40pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1938" width=53><COL style="WIDTH: 127pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6180" width=169><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 86pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=114 height=19>File Name</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 45pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=60>BSize</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 40pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=53>Plating</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; WIDTH: 127pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=169>Description</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=19>2526465101.sldprt</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="2.2559999999999998">2.256</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">PS1000</TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">PLATE, DATUM, XY INPUT</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=19>2526466101.sldprt</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num="5.7560000000000002">5.756</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">PS1022</TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">BAR, SUPPORT</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=19><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; HEIGHT: 14.25pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=19>2526468101.sldprt</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" x:num>32.55</TD><TD class=xl22 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">PS1022</TD><TD class=xl23 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent">HOUSING, INPUT XY</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
TYIA

Last edited:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You could add something like the line in red to write the Excel File. If there can be more than one Excel file open you should replace the (1) with the name of the workbook and the name of the worksheet in quotes.

Gary

Code:
strFile = Dir(strPath)
Do While strFile <> ""
    x = x + 1

Debug.Print strFile
    [COLOR=Red]objExcel.Workbooks(1).Worksheets(1).Range("A" & x).Value = strFile[/COLOR]
    'objExcel.Workbooks("MyBook").Worksheets("MySheet").Range("A" & x).Value = strFile

Loop

Upvote 0
You could add something like the line in red to write the Excel File. If there can be more than one Excel file open you should replace the (1) with the name of the workbook and the name of the worksheet in quotes.

Gary

Code:
strFile = Dir(strPath)
Do While strFile <> ""
    x = x + 1

Debug.Print strFile
    [COLOR=red]objExcel.Workbooks(1).Worksheets(1).Range("A" & x).Value = strFile[/COLOR]
    'objExcel.Workbooks("MyBook").Worksheets("MySheet").Range("A" & x).Value = strFile

Loop

That worked. Thank you. It brought up another issue where I'm trying to get the last filled cell before I start writing so I don't overwrite what's already there. I tried

Code:
lLR = objExcel.Workbooks("BoxSizes").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row ' Get number of rows in worksheet

But get a Subscript out of range error. Am I using the wrong Workbooks name? (The file is c:\BoxSizes.xls)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Add the .xls to the filename in your code.

Upvote 0
Add the .xls to the filename in your code.

I tried that originally, got an "object required" error.

Here's the entire script (I'm running this from Solidworks but stripped out the swAPP object so it should run fine in Excel's VBA) It errors when it gets to lLR = objExcel.Workbooks("blahblah...Row ' Get number of rows in worksheet

Code:
Sub LoopThruDirectory()

objExcel.Visible = True
Dim lLR As Long
Dim strPath As String
Dim strFile As String
Dim x As Integer
lLR = objExcel.Workbooks("BoxSizes.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row ' Get number of rows in worksheet
    strFile = Dir(strPath)
    Do While strFile <> ""
                x = x + 1
    objExcel.Workbooks("BoxSizes.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & x).Value = strFile
            Debug.Print strFile
    Loop
End Sub

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Do you have a reference set to the Excel object library? If not, xlUp has no value.

Upvote 0
Do you have a reference set to the Excel object library? If not, xlUp has no value.

I did not. I added the reference and stepped through and it worked. Then I ran it again in run mode and it choked with err 1004, Method 'Rows' of object '_Global' failed.

I figured it was hanging trying to open the book so I added a DoEvents after the Workbooks.Open command, then another before the xlUp command. (That's where it was hanging.)

That made it work if I stepped through holding my finger on F8 (where it wouldn't work before I added the DoEvents), but it still won't run using F5. Scratch that, a bit more testing and it chokes about every other time holding F8.

Should I put a timer in there or am I doing something wrong? Here's what I've got...

Code:
Option Explicit
Dim swApp As Object, objExcel As Object
Sub LoopThruDirectory()
Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

objExcel.Visible = True
DoEvents
Dim x As Long
Dim strPath As String
Dim strFile As String
DoEvents
x = objExcel.Workbooks("BoxSizes.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row ' Get number of rows in worksheet
    strFile = Dir(strPath)
    Do While strFile <> ""
                x = x + 1
    objExcel.Workbooks("BoxSizes.xls").Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & x).Value = strFile
            Debug.Print strFile
    Loop
End Sub

:mad:

Upvote 0
Prefix the word Rows with objExcel. In other words:
Code:
objexcel.rows.count

Upvote 0
Oh, man! That's good stuff. Thank you very much.

You're good, you should be like an Excel MVP or something. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back