Open excel in seperate programs each time

jrisebo

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I had to get a new computer, and before I had a little program or something that would always open excel in separate windows, so I could move them around on other monitors. I cant find it. I tried the registry hack, and that didnt work.

Anyone know of a program that you install, then tell it to open each instance of excel separately?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
In Excel 2010 (and similar in Excel 2007, I'm assuming also in 2013), go to Excel Options->Advanced. Scroll down to General section towards the bottom, and check the "Ignore other applications that use DDE" box.

Upvote 0
I have tried that too. When I do that, it gives me a "there was a problem sending the command to the program" error.

Upvote 0
I will try one of these. I wish I would have saved the old program or whatever it was I installed. Maybe it was the shortcut thing, I can direct windows to use the shortcut to open excel files.

Upvote 0
Got it to work. I used the registry hack....just make sure you add the space!

strart - run - regedit:
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.8/shell/Open/commend:
Right column {adding (space)"%1"}
Double Click on (Default) and write - "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
Right Click on Command – choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (commend2).
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.8/shell/Open/ddeexec:
Right Click on the folder ddeexec and choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (ddeexec2)
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.12/shell/Open/commend:
Right column {adding (space)"%1"}
Double Click on (Default) and write -"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
Right Click on Command – choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (commend2).
no restart needed
Have Fun
hope i helped

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back