Open excel in seperate programs each time

jrisebo

Board Regular
I had to get a new computer, and before I had a little program or something that would always open excel in separate windows, so I could move them around on other monitors. I cant find it. I tried the registry hack, and that didnt work.

Anyone know of a program that you install, then tell it to open each instance of excel separately?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

iliace

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
In Excel 2010 (and similar in Excel 2007, I'm assuming also in 2013), go to Excel Options->Advanced. Scroll down to General section towards the bottom, and check the "Ignore other applications that use DDE" box.

jrisebo

Board Regular
I have tried that too. When I do that, it gives me a "there was a problem sending the command to the program" error.

jrisebo

Board Regular
I will try one of these. I wish I would have saved the old program or whatever it was I installed. Maybe it was the shortcut thing, I can direct windows to use the shortcut to open excel files.

jrisebo

Board Regular
Got it to work. I used the registry hack....just make sure you add the space!

strart - run - regedit:
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.8/shell/Open/commend:
Right column {adding (space)"%1"}
Double Click on (Default) and write - "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
Right Click on Command – choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (commend2).
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.8/shell/Open/ddeexec:
Right Click on the folder ddeexec and choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (ddeexec2)
Left column
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/Excel.Sheet.12/shell/Open/commend:
Right column {adding (space)"%1"}
Double Click on (Default) and write -"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1"
Right Click on Command – choose "rename" and add something to the name - for example 2 (commend2).
no restart needed
Have Fun
hope i helped

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stacy09