Open links from Excel in Chrome

szymon_i

Hello Excel fans,
I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while with no luck so I decided to ask the Experts... I have made an Excel file with product list and one of the columns generates a individual hyperlink for each of the products. The issue I have is that when I click on the link, first it shows the dialog window that "some files may contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain that this file is from a trustworthy source. Would You like to open this file?". What is even worse, the link is then opened in Internet Explorer instead of my default browser, Chrome. What is really strange is that if the link is missing (so the product does not have the individual website), the link is opened in Chrome then with message that address is incorrect (no dialog box with the warning about unsafe links as well). By that I assume that after I click the link, Excel (or IE) is checking if the link is valid and then opens in either IE (if it is) or in Chrome (if it is not). I checked something else and put Google in one of the cells of a blank document and then clicked on it -- it opened without dialog box in Chrome!

Of course I surfed the web for a solution and checked past threads in this (and other) forum with no answer... Do You have any idea on how to fix this issue?

Thank You!
Szymon I

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back