Opening 2 Workbooks in Separate Windows

new4me

I have 2 workbooks open and I want to set up formulas from one linking to the other. When I toggle on the task bar between the 2 workbooks they replace each other within the same window so I can only see one workbook at a time. How do I set it up so I can have 2 separate windows open at the same time, one with each workbook in it? I tried 'side by side' in one window but the viewing area is too small.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You'll want to maximize Excel.

From the main menu: Window | Arrange... | Horizontal

If you're running out of room, you can use the menu option View | Zoom... to adjust the zoom. Note that each workbook is still a window, so you can freeze panes or split each individual window if that's what you need to do.

Upvote 0
The problem is that I am using a special application with required additional toolbars where the usable area is very small. Even maximizing the windows when sharing only gives me 3 or 4 rows. Is there a way to open 2 workbooks in separate windows?

Upvote 0
Are you asking if you can open a separate instance of Excel completely? The answer is yes, you just click on Excel from your start menu a second time and open the second workbook in the second instance of Excel.

Upvote 0
Are you asking if you can open a separate instance of Excel completely? The answer is yes, you just click on Excel from your start menu a second time and open the second workbook in the second instance of Excel.

No, because Excel must be opened within the application that I am using. The data within the application flows through to Excel. And that application cannot have 2 instances opened at the same time. I link from one Excel worksheet to another. And it is easier if I can do this side by side instead of toggling back and forth between windows. But the application uses numerous toolbars in Excel so the usable workspace in Excel is much smaller than the standard, about 60-70% of the screen. So opening 2 windows within that space results in insufficient area to see what you are doing.

Upvote 0
We seem to be stuck in some kind of a circular logic paradox. You asked "How do I set it up so I can have 2 separate windows open at the same time, one with each workbook in it?"

And then you say "opening 2 windows within that space results in insufficient area to see what you are doing"?

I have been assuming that you are already adjusting the zoom of each window within it's alloted screen real estate.

Unless that option has been overlooked or unless you are able to clarify something that I'm not understanding propertly, I fear we are at an impasse.

Upvote 0
We seem to be stuck in some kind of a circular logic paradox. You asked "How do I set it up so I can have 2 separate windows open at the same time, one with each workbook in it?"

And then you say "opening 2 windows within that space results in insufficient area to see what you are doing"?

I have been assuming that you are already adjusting the zoom of each window within it's alloted screen real estate.

Unless that option has been overlooked or unless you are able to clarify something that I'm not understanding propertly, I fear we are at an impasse.

OK. Maybe I'm assuming that you know what I'm trying to do and you don't. So I'll try to be as specific as possible.

If you have 2 Excel workbooks open on your Windows toolbar at the botttom of the screen, when you click on Excel workbook A, Excel workbook A opens on your monitor. When you click on Excel workbook B, Excel workbook B opens on your monitor and Excel workbook A is minimized so you can't see it on the screen at all. And you can toggle back and forth between Excel workbook A and Excel workbook B.

I want to cascade Excel workbook A & B so they each take up half of the screen and are totally separate. Then I can drag and link items from A to B without having to minimze one and maximize the other constantly. The same way that you would by opening Windows Explorer in 2 separate windows to copy and paste files without having to navigate to the new location each time. When I try to do that with Excel, Excel will only open in one window and will toggle back and forth between workbooks, not allowing both to be opened at the same time.

I can't open Excel twice (I don't even know if that's possible to do) because the financial software that I am using incorporates Excel within it's program and Excel must be opened through that program. And that program cannot be opened twice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back