Opening a Message based on file name

Bob Folks

Board Regular
Hi Gang,

I have a excel sheet that opens with a message box. The sheet is a template and is used to create other sheets with different variables. My question is this how do I have this box open whilst the sheets name is "Auto Blank feed sheet" and not open when the sheet has a different name after the new sheet has been made.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bob

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
In the sheet module:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    If ActiveSheet.Name = "Auto Blank feed sheet" Then
        MsgBox "Hi"
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hy Paul

thanks for the help. I think I may have gotten tripped over with the terminology. The difference between Workbook and sheet are huge I realize. Will the following code do the same or am I missing something (Like basic knowledge lol)

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    If ActiveWorkbook.Name = "Auto Blank feed sheet.xls" Then
        MsgBox "This sheet was developed for convenience please ensure the feed you use is appropriate", , "Warning!!!"
    End If
End Sub

Cheers
Bob

Upvote 0
That won't work, sorry! This will though, if you put it in the This Workbook module.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    If ThisWorkbook.Name = "[COLOR=#ff0000]Auto Blank feed sheet[/COLOR].xlsm" Then
        MsgBox "This Workbook was developed for convenience please ensure the feed you use is appropriate", , "Warning!!!"
    End If
End Sub

NOTE: You have to save the file as a Macro enabled workbook (.xlsm) and with the same name as in red above.

Upvote 0
Paul,

Thank you that awesome but I now have a heap of macros that wont run I am being told that I cant run those macros on an active sheet. I have to be honest here this sheet has been inherited by me and has been used for 20 Years through many versions of Excel. It may be time to bight the Bullet and re write the whole thing in the newer Excel 2010 My company has us using.:rolleyes::oops:

Cheers
Bob

Upvote 0
Hey Paul,

Yes the massage I am getting is "You can not run this macro on an active sheet". I have about 20 macros that configure the main sheet with in the work book for particular products we make, they have saved a huge amount of time in setup and led to a standardized way of working.

Cheers

Bob

Upvote 0
Hey Paul,

Mate thank you so much for your help I don't know what I did yesterday that got in the way buy I applied the code you suggested to my .xls file and it did exactly what I wanted. You sir are awesome much thanks.

Cheers
Bob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcaw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back