Opening excel file

Hombreck

I am having problem opening my excel files, evertime I click on a file windows installer pops up and does do anything it closed before anything is done. The only way I can open an execl file is by opening excel and then clicking on "file" "open" then the file opens. How can I fixing this. I've tried re-installing it but it still does that.
Please help out

Carlos

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
This doesn't sound like an Excel issue. If you are attempting to open a file via Windows Explorer (which is sounds like you are) and it doesn't work, you need to reassociate that filetype with the application--in this case excel.

Beyond the scope of this board.

Upvote 0
What if you right-click on the file you're trying to open, choose Properties and see what program is set as default Open with: If it is not Excel then Change to Excel.

HTH

RAM

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

I've had that problem several times, especially with "incomplete" installs by my IS Department. What appears to fix it is to insert the Office disk, open Excel and let it do its thing and voila! You might also find the same issue with Nerd, Power Point(less) and Access.

The hardest thing for me has been trying to get IS to give me the darn disk! (and the right one at that... :unsure: )

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
To add to Smitty's post. might be worth checking if the install is local or remote? If remote the image is up the spout. Some IT Depts are very good, others are network guys so no harm ment really just not there game

Might be worth checking the image thou, or as long as You do not save locally, them re-Blast the company image to Your WorkStation take 20 mins or so and see if things are better

jiuk

Upvote 0
Hombreck said:
I am having problem opening my excel files, evertime I click on a file windows installer pops up and does do anything it closed before anything is done. The only way I can open an execl file is by opening excel and then clicking on "file" "open" then the file opens. How can I fixing this. I've tried re-installing it but it still does that.
Please help out

Carlos

It sounds like you have lost the file association for Excel.

Using Windows Explorer:

Under Tools/File Options/File Types make sure you have an association for .xls (assuming this is the extension you are trying to open).

If not then associate it with Excel.

Under Advance make sure your 'open' statement is set to Excel, default typically:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

DDE check box should be checked and under DDE message:

[open("%1")]

Application:

Excel

Not sure if important under Topic:

System

Perry

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianhfield

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back