Opening Excel with a customised default workbook

quinella

Hi all

I suspect this question is a fairly simple one to answer, but it has me stumped.

Supposing I want to make some customisations to a workbook (specifically the formatting of the cells) and then save it as the default so that when Excel opens it will open with it each and every time, how would I go about doing that (ie the saving of, eg where to, and ensuring that it opens with it each time).

This is on Windows XP Pro running Office XP if that is of any help.

I'd be grateful for any advice ... thanks all.

Sue

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Either stick it on a startup folder, that windows uses on start up or use

Tools>Options>alternate Startup File Location

This will open files in this directory when Excel is started.

Upvote 0
Save it as a template. I've never done this, but there's a decent description of how to do this in the Excel help file. Start help and on the "Answer Wizard" or "Search" tab do a search for "template".

I'd post the instructions here, but they don't look as good as they do in the help file.

HTH

Upvote 0
Adding to Mark's post, if you save it as a template in the xlstart folder and name it book.xlt, it will become the default workbook for all new files.

Upvote 0
Adding to lenze's post, after getting the spreadsheet set up the way you want (default formats, spreadsheet identification info at top left (eg. company name, etc), page set up, etc) and saving it as Book.xlt (as lenze indicated) also save it as Sheet.xlt. Excel will then use the Sheet.xlt template whenever you insert a new sheet into an existing workbook, whereas Book.xlt is for new workbooks.
Note that you need to shut-down & restart Excel after initially saving the templates for them to be activated.

HTH

Upvote 0
Hi everyone

All fixed now. Thank you to you all for your help and advice. Everything is set up and working well.

All the best.

Sue

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KH Consulting

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back