opening wpt files so data appears in multiple columns/cells

MrHelpRequired

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for any help. I have trawled through Google search results and this forum before signing up and starting my own thread.

I have a large number of waypoint files (garmin .wpt) which periodically require editing. Currently all the data for each waypoint (lats/longs/date etc) appear in the first cell. I have worked out how to separate them into cells/columns using the 'data tab - from text or text to columns'. I have not been able to find a way to have this occur by default each time I open a file. I have also found a related thread about saving preferences as a template but I'm not sure that would work in this case and as I am on a work computer, I don't have the necessary permissions to save the template file in the Office14 or Office15 folders as was suggested.

The way the files are used and I would like them to work is that I can open them directly from windows explorer and have the data for each entry sit in individual cells - we have a whole lot of copying and pasting to do for a large mapping project at the minute so could really do without the extra steps.

I'm actually trying to sort this out for my supervisor who believes that as of a couple of days ago when he opened the files the data appeared in multiple files - I have no way of confirming this and he is fairly computer illiterate and I can't be entirely sure that this is true or what he may or may not have done. The only thing that has changed in the interim is that on his computer the wpt file type wasn't associated with excel so I fixed that.

Any help keeping myself and my supervisor happy will be much appreciated.

Regards
MrHelpRequired

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back