Optimize allocation based on preferences

speachman89

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I think fundamentally this query should be straightforward but I just can't quite work it through so I thought I'd serve it up to some greater minds than mine. I have reduced the size of data against which I am trying to apply this logic for the purpose of explanation as I presume any solution should be easily scalable.

So, in this example I have 15 students and 15 courses, and each student has given preferences 1 - 15. Clearly some options will be more popular than others. I therefore want to find a solution to optimize this allocation. To my mind, if we assume 15 points are awarded to someone who gets their top preference, and 1 point to someone who gets their bottom preference, the optimum solution would be the allocation that achieves the highest possible score overall based of preferences provided (i.e. if all got their top preference (which won't be possible) the total score would be 15 x 15 =225)

In reality there will be 15 preferences against more than 15 courses so I would assume these courses not "preferenced" would be allocated zero points. There will also be more than 15 students in total. It would be useful if any solution could bear this in mind.

I have uploaded an image of some sample data and would be grateful to anyone that could help me solve this challenge. The column of random numbers 1 - 15 can be generated =SORTBY(SEQUENCE(15),RANDARRAY(15)).

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Excel query.PNG
    Excel query.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 75

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Welcome to the board! What are the constraints on your problem? For example, is there a minimum class size and a maximum class size? Do these sizes vary for different courses? Must each student sign up for some required number of classes?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back