Option buttons driving me CRAZY!!!

jdaywalt

Board Regular
I have no idea what is going on with my option buttons and need help! I am using the forms version of both a Group Box and Option Box. I have two separate "groupings" of I need to set up. Here is the process I used:
1. Insert first group box onto sheet tab
2. Insert option button and move into group box
3. Copy the first option button by using Ctrl+click method & dragging (within same group box)
4. Repeat process for remaining buttons needed within first group box
5. Assign cell link to first (original) option button in cell A2 (which assigns link to all other boxes)

THEN... I create the next group
1. Insert second group box onto same sheet tab
2. Insert option button (directly from Developer tab---not a copy from first grouping)
3. Move new option button into second group box
4. Copy this option button using same Ctrl+click method as above -- making sure to keep within group box
5. Repeat as needed
6. Go back to first (original) option button in this group and assign cell link to cell A3 (which assigns link to all other boxes)

So far, everything appears OK when selecting options in group box 1. When I click any of the 3 buttons, my cell link adjusts the number accordingly and only the option I clicked is selected. HOWEVER, when I click my options in the second group box, some are independent & some are not. For example, when I click in the last option box created, one of the other option boxes is also selected. It's as if some of them are linked together and I can't get them to work independently. I have deleted and recreated multiple times with the same issue. Here is one other note: I am creating these group boxes (with option buttons), then moving each group on top of another text box that has "prettier" formatting & text instructions for users. I do not want the outline of the group box to show, so I highlight just the group box (not the option buttons), then go to Page Layout...Group...Send to back so the group box is hidden by the text box on top of it. Again, not sure if there are any issues here, but did have done this in other worksheets with no issues, and the first group box in this worksheet also works fine. Any ideas of what might be causing my issues?? I have spent hours creating & re-creating these buttons. Oddly, I'll think it's working & then all of a sudden something happens and I'm back to where they are going whacky again. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi jdaywalt,

No idea why it happens in Excel...

But sometimes I faced the same.. what I did is...

Inserted a group box 1 and selected the group box 1 & inserted the Option button 1. Again selected Group box 1 and inserted new Option button 2.

After this, I inserted group box 2 and selected the group box 2 & inserted the Option button 1. Again selected Group box 1 and inserted new Option button 2.

Try this.. you will be amazed...

Upvote 0
I am creating these group boxes (with option buttons), then moving each group on top of another text box that has "prettier" formatting & text instructions for users. I do not want the outline of the group box to show, so I highlight just the group box (not the option buttons), then go to Page Layout...Group...Send to back so the group box is hidden by the text box on top of it. Again, not sure if there are any issues here, but did have done this in other worksheets with no issues, and the first group box in this worksheet also works fine. Any ideas of what might be causing my issues?? I have spent hours creating & re-creating these buttons. Oddly, I'll think it's working & then all of a sudden something happens and I'm back to where they are going whacky again. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

After you Send to back the groupboxes, are you moving around the option buttons? If the Option Button's entire outline doesn't fit entirely within it's groupbox, it may change groups. If some of the option button outline falls outside of its groupbox (even a little), then it belongs to the worksheet group. If you have moved around the option buttons, double check that it's outline still fits entirely within it's groupbox.

Also, make sure the outlines of the groupboxes don't overlap. Not the black box and label, but the outline you see when you select the groupbox.

Upvote 0
I will try both of these. Thought I was very careful to ensure all of the option boxes were within boundaries of group box, no overlapping, etc. But will try ONE MORE TIME and be absolutely meticulous. Perhaps I inadvertently moved something after the boxes were created. I have macros that hide/unhide columns and perhaps in all of my creating/recreating I didn't have one of the boxes' properties set to "don't resize" -- causing it to expand when columns were unhidden or resized. Thank you for helping me narrow down the problem!!

Upvote 0
Forms controls are on the drawing layer of the worksheet, which always has its share of warts.

You could instead use Marlett checkboxes, which are just cells. The forum has many examples.

Upvote 0
I will try both of these. Thought I was very careful to ensure all of the option boxes were within boundaries of group box, no overlapping, etc. But will try ONE MORE TIME and be absolutely meticulous. Perhaps I inadvertently moved something after the boxes were created. I have macros that hide/unhide columns and perhaps in all of my creating/recreating I didn't have one of the boxes' properties set to "don't resize" -- causing it to expand when columns were unhidden or resized. Thank you for helping me narrow down the problem!!

You wouldn't have to recreate everything. Just readjust the position or size of the option buttons to fit entirely within its groupbox.

Upvote 0
I will search for that -- not familiar with Marlett checkboxes. I recreated the option boxes (AGAIN) and was absolutely sure that everything was positioned correctly, etc. Appeared that everything was working... but after running a few macros that hide/unhide columns, I experienced the same issue (AGAIN!!). Looks like my weekend will be spent learning about Marlett checkboxes. Hope I can figure something out that works!! Thanks for your recommendation.

Upvote 0
Post back if you get stuck.

Upvote 0
You could physically group the groupbox, texbox, and option buttons. Their positions relative to each other cannot change once they are physically grouped.

Ctrl+Click on each object you want in one physical group.
Then Right-Click on the selected items
Select from the pop-up context menu Grouping\Group

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back