Option buttons that then can be used in a formula

texaschai

Hello everyone,
While I know how to use option buttons in the Developer tab under Form Controls, I am new to the ones in ActiveX. I believe I need to use the ActiveX ones, based on the following criteria, but correct me if I'm wrong:
1. I have 5 sections on the same "survey" form (one page) that require radio buttons (only one answer allowed per section).
2. Within each section there are 6 possible answers. Each answer is allotted a point value (between 0 and 5 points) depending on their answer.
3. To the right of each section, I have a box that says "Points" which is supposed to put in the point value of the one answer selected in each section. (It looks something like this where the X is acting as a selected option button):
Question: How likely is this customer to return?Option ButtonPointsSection points: 4
Answer 1: Very likelyo5
Answer 2: Somewhat likelyX4
Answer 3: Neutralo3
Answer 4: Somewhat unlikelyo2
Answer 5: Very unlikelyo1
Answer 6: Not sureo0

<tbody>
</tbody>

The problem I'm having is that when I use Form Controls option buttons, I can only select one radio button on the entire form, instead of one answer in each section (because they are option buttons, and only one button can be selected). I liked the ease of Form Controls other than that snag because of the fact that I could give each button a value, and when the value changed in a specific cell based on which one was selected, my Section Points formula would return the correct value as the option button selected. However, since it's only letting me select ONE option button for the entire page, not just that section, I switched to ActiveX option button so I could name each section of the page as its own grouping and have them act as independent groups of option buttons. However, now I can't get the formula to work. I'm new to ActiveX so I don't know how to make a formula that says "if Answer 5's button is checked, the value should be 1 point". I really don't want to use VBA if possible. So is there a way to make the Form Control buttons group together? I tried grouping them together into sub-groups of buttons but it will still only allow me to select one button per entire page.
Thanks!
Texaschai

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Sorry, where and how do I do that? And will I have to format them a certain way (some of my answers are left to right instead of stacked in a top-to-bottom row with the buttons on the right)?

Upvote 0
Sorry, where and how do I do that? And will I have to format them a certain way (some of my answers are left to right instead of stacked in a top-to-bottom row with the buttons on the right)?

Click on the link for instructions.

Upvote 0
I should add this question: Can I add the form control box around pre-existing buttons? Or do I have to scrap my work and start over once I insert the control box?

Upvote 0
Thank you. It is very helpful. I am just hoping I don't have to start over with inserting all the buttons! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back