OR or Wildcard within ISNUMBER SEARCH

dslhs

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have this formula:

=IFERROR(INDEX('Progress Data'!A2:A100, SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Below",'Progress Data'!G2:G100)), MATCH(ROW('Progress Data'!G2:G100), ROW('Progress Data'!G2:G100)), ""), ROWS('Progress Data'!$A$1:A1))), "")

Which works perfectly, except I want to make it so the array returns based on cells that say either 'Below Expectation' or 'Significantly Below Expectation'. Currently it only returns based on cells that return 'Below Expectation'

I've tried a wildcard for Below and including Or in the formula, but to no avail. I'm pretty sure someone way better at this than me will see where I've gone wrong in 2 second. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
SEARCH does not need wildcards. It will return a number wherever the search string is found if any.
In your case it will find "below" in both strings and return the position, otherwise an error

Upvote 0
Then why is the formula returning results for 'Below Expectation' but not 'Significantly Below Expectation? How can I make it return both?

Upvote 0
Without seeing your actual data I don't know. Could you post a small example using the XL2BB addin on this site?

Upvote 0
Could it be that you have not locked the rows numbers so that when you drag the formula down you are no longer looking at the same ranges.

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX('Progress Data'!A$2:A$100, SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Below",'Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)), MATCH(ROW('Progress Data'!G$2:G$100), ROW('Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)), ""), ROWS('Progress Data'!$A$1:A1))), "")

Note that you could also use this slightly shorter one.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX('Progress Data'!A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('Progress Data'!A$2:A$100)/ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Below",'Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)),ROWS('Progress Data'!A$1:A1))),"")

Both of the above work for me.

BTW, what is the name of the worksheet that this formula is on?

Upvote 0
Solution
Could it be that you have not locked the rows numbers so that when you drag the formula down you are no longer looking at the same ranges.

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX('Progress Data'!A$2:A$100, SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Below",'Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)), MATCH(ROW('Progress Data'!G$2:G$100), ROW('Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)), ""), ROWS('Progress Data'!$A$1:A1))), "")

Note that you could also use this slightly shorter one.
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(INDEX('Progress Data'!A:A,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW('Progress Data'!A$2:A$100)/ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Below",'Progress Data'!G$2:G$100)),ROWS('Progress Data'!A$1:A1))),"")

Both of the above work for me.

BTW, what is the name of the worksheet that this formula is on?
This is perfect. It was so simple. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the follow-up. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back