Ordering info in reports - pls help!

d.silverman

Hi, I posted about this a few days ago but no replies, please anyone help if they can!

I have columns named 'response 1', 'response code 1' (giving an accompanying code to categorise the former), 'response 2' and 'response code 2'.

I want to create a report that shows all the responses of code a, say, whether they fall under column 'response 1' *or* 'response 2', then code b, code c, etc, in that order. It can disregard whether each response is under column 'response 1' or 'response 2'.

I know I could do this by putting all the responses into a single column but I would prefer not to do it this way.

Help would be gratefully appreciated.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
It is going to be messy (very messy if you really have more than just two questions) because your database is not normalized.

I know it may sometimes seems like a hassle to follow the rules of normalization in setting up your database, but there are good reasons to follow them. If you don't follow them, you will run into problems like this where the solutions are much more complicated than they have to be because of poor database design.

Seriously consider changing your database design to a normalized form, where you would just have two fields, i.e.

Response Number
Response Code

Upvote 0
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. It is divided into three responses sadly, I think I'll do it the stupid way and just paste the lot into one column in a new table and disregard the response number for the purpose of the report. I'll take note of your advice for the next database =)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back