organizing data

Miss_Excel_Novice

I want to see what are the 10 largest colleges in each of 20 cities and what the tuition is for each.

I have 4 columns of data, one with a list of all the colleges in the US, the next with the city the college is in, the next with the number of students, and the next with the cost of tuition.

I have no idea how to organize the data to give me just what I need. Please help!!

Many Thanks!

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
First, make sure you have column headers for your data columns. Start out by selecting your entire data area and then click on Data, Sort... and sort the data by tuition, either high to low or low to high depending on how you want it. Then (with the data still selected) click on Data, Filter, AutoFilter. This creates dropdown menus at the top of each column. Then you can select each city one at a time, and if necessary, select Top 10 in the college column. You just need to do this for each city.

Let me know if that works for you,
Joe

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back