Organizing my live music and printing info

Rogue Diabetic

I have been collecting live music and have come up with a storage solution for all the live cd's I've been burning that I think I could use excel to make easy.
I am relatively new to macros, and it would take me a ton of time to start from scratch with this, so I'm humbly asking for someone to point me in the right direction/offer some assistance with getting me started.

Here is my attempt at describing my idea:
I want to have a worksheet with a standard list of of the attributes of each live CD I have. These would include things like artist, date, show name, lineage, quality of the sound, venue, city, state, etc.. Then I want to take these attributes and have them thrown into the next worksheet into a "template" that I will be able to print up and stick in the sleeve I'll be storing the cd in (I can provide an example of this template that I have manually typed in excel).

I can describe how I think it will work but I need help starting out on this.
I will start on the main list page (where my big list will be of each bootleg).
I would like to save each new entry in a its row as I do it too, so the info is never lost, just added to each time I add another show.

So, I will click a button and the macro will start. It will ask me to type in the info for each attribute along the various columns, and when I type it in (say, the artist name), the macro will throw the attribute into the proper column, then I hit "ok" and it asks me for the next attribute. I will have a new row with all the info in it once that macro is done running.

Then, on the "template" worksheet there will be a button that says "create info sheet" or something, and upon clicking, it takes you back to the list of shows, asks you which column to pull all the data from, and you click the column the show's data is in (so techinically I could print the data for any show in my list at any time, not just the last one on the list), and then the macro will take each item of data from the columns and place the letters/numbers in the template in their appropriate places in the template.

I think this would not be too difficult, but I just need a start, and I'm hoping this is the kind of thing some knowledgeable person could whip up (bare-bones even) in 5 minutes. I have looked around on this forum and seen the help pages, but I read about visual basic and editing and feel frustrated. I have made changes to macros before but never started one from scratch.

I hope I am not going about this in too much of the wrong way. If anyone could offer some help (write some simple code so I can see it and I could definitely modify it from there) or just point me to some code that I can get and modify myself, or any kind of help would be appreciated. Thank you for reading my lengthy post. I have lots of live music to offer someone a little something in return if that would be appropriate. :rolleyes: :cool:

Regards,
Travis

Travis, Here's some code that moves info from the one sheet to the next. This code is to be run when the activecell is the etree name selection(pj1998-06-29d1).

Code:
Public Sub move()
    a = 7
    rowno = ActiveCell.Row
    For n = 2 To ActiveCell.Offset(1, 1).End(xlToRight).Column
        a = a + 1
        Sheets("info_form").Cells(a, 1) = Sheets("cd_list").Cells(rowno + 1, n)
        Sheets("info_form").Cells(a, 3) = Sheets("cd_list").Cells(rowno + 2, n)

Next n
End Sub

It uses the Offset property to determine the last column in the track listing row. Then runs through the loop knowing how many times it needs to go based on this.

Note: You will get more responses if you start a new post for every specific question you have. Just try and break down your questions in small steps and post them. (y)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Thanks a lot Marc.

I had a spare moment to play with that code you gave me today at work, and it worked great! I have some other tweaks I'd like to try tonight, and if I can't get them, I'll take your advice and post more magageable sized questions. You rock dude. (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back