Organizing my live music and printing info

Rogue Diabetic

I have been collecting live music and have come up with a storage solution for all the live cd's I've been burning that I think I could use excel to make easy.
I am relatively new to macros, and it would take me a ton of time to start from scratch with this, so I'm humbly asking for someone to point me in the right direction/offer some assistance with getting me started.

Here is my attempt at describing my idea:
I want to have a worksheet with a standard list of of the attributes of each live CD I have. These would include things like artist, date, show name, lineage, quality of the sound, venue, city, state, etc.. Then I want to take these attributes and have them thrown into the next worksheet into a "template" that I will be able to print up and stick in the sleeve I'll be storing the cd in (I can provide an example of this template that I have manually typed in excel).

I can describe how I think it will work but I need help starting out on this.
I will start on the main list page (where my big list will be of each bootleg).
I would like to save each new entry in a its row as I do it too, so the info is never lost, just added to each time I add another show.

So, I will click a button and the macro will start. It will ask me to type in the info for each attribute along the various columns, and when I type it in (say, the artist name), the macro will throw the attribute into the proper column, then I hit "ok" and it asks me for the next attribute. I will have a new row with all the info in it once that macro is done running.

Then, on the "template" worksheet there will be a button that says "create info sheet" or something, and upon clicking, it takes you back to the list of shows, asks you which column to pull all the data from, and you click the column the show's data is in (so techinically I could print the data for any show in my list at any time, not just the last one on the list), and then the macro will take each item of data from the columns and place the letters/numbers in the template in their appropriate places in the template.

I think this would not be too difficult, but I just need a start, and I'm hoping this is the kind of thing some knowledgeable person could whip up (bare-bones even) in 5 minutes. I have looked around on this forum and seen the help pages, but I read about visual basic and editing and feel frustrated. I have made changes to macros before but never started one from scratch.

I hope I am not going about this in too much of the wrong way. If anyone could offer some help (write some simple code so I can see it and I could definitely modify it from there) or just point me to some code that I can get and modify myself, or any kind of help would be appreciated. Thank you for reading my lengthy post. I have lots of live music to offer someone a little something in return if that would be appropriate. :rolleyes: :cool:

Regards,
Travis

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hey Travis- Welcome to the board!!

Here's my idea: Why not set up a worksheet with all of your attributes at the along the top of the sheet. Then take a look at using the DATA | FORM, it creates a userform that will allow you to populate your spreadsheet while prompting you for the need attributes.

Then when your ready to work some macro action you can place a button on your toolbar and assign a printing macro to it. I figure something like the code below:

Sub aMusic()

RowNo = ActiveCell.Row

artist = Cells(RowNo, 1).Value
dat = Cells(RowNo, 2).Value
showname = Cells(RowNo, 3).Value
quality = Cells(RowNo, 4).Value
venue = Cells(RowNo, 5).Value

MsgBox artist & " " & dat & " " & showname & " " & quality & " " & venue

Sheets("Sheet2").Range("e5").Value = artist
End Sub

It's bear bones, but what this does is determine what row you currently have active, then it will assign each of your attributes to a variable. I have a msgbox which will illustrate the variable capture, but you will want to place the info into your "printing template" using the code just below the message box. You will need to add more lines and point them to where on your sheet you need the info as well as capture whatever attributes I didn't.

Good Luck. And don't forget that if you have an idea just turn on the macro recorder to get a feel for what kind of code is generated when you follow through on them. The board is really good at answering your Q's, but I find that most posters like condensed questions.
Book1
ABCDE
1ArtistDateShowNameQualityofSoundVenue
2Who7/16/76MadisonPoorMSG
3devo8/24/88BlottoGoodSeattle
4who9/1/01clevelandSuperDuperMuseum
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Marc -

I'm at work now but I can work on it at home later. Reading through it now, I think this is awesome and will get me started. I certainly understand the need for more specific questions, and I think I will definitely have a specific question or two to ask once I take what you've told me and ran with it. Thank you so much for catering to my newb-like long-winded question. Perhaps I'll post back if I run into any troubles or want to do something that I can't figure out from your advice. Thanks! :)

Regards,
Travis

p.s. - nice touch on the "super duper" listing. I have several cd's with that caliber of sound quality! :p

Upvote 0
I may be guilty of blasphemy for saying this, but why not build an Access Database for this? The data is much more manageable there.

Excel is by far my favorite piece of software, but mainly for its computing and analytical capabilities, not storage of data.

-Jarrod

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion Santeria - there is a neat Access database on there that I checked out . .

Which leads me to Jarrod's suggestion.

I checked out the access database - it's got some things I think I like, but I know I'd want to add certain other categories besides what it's already got for an album listing, and basically I'm afraid of Access and I'm sure I'd have a lot of trouble trying to add those things. I'll try to play with it though.

Upvote 0
In reference to Marc's idea of using DATA|Form, you can also build in formulas for certain fields, where you have to pull the information from another, say Show sheet -- and the beauty of using the DATA|Form is that the data entry form is built from your field headers on the fly, and as you enter data for each record, the database is automatically and dynamically built for you.

I think you ought to give DATA|Form a shot to see if it meets your needs.

Upvote 0
Yogi Anand said:
In reference to Marc's idea of using DATA|Form, you can also build in formulas for certain fields, where you have to pull the information from another, say Show sheet

I'm don't quite follow what that is, but I might in a moment when I actually start playing with this.

I think you ought to give DATA|Form a shot to see if it meets your needs.
I'm definitely going to - I was actually blown away when I used the DATA l Form, because I'd never needed it before and consequently didn't know it existed! I'm no idiot but there's just so much to excel that there are plenty of areas I've never even touched before.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hmm.. this question is more specific: I'd like to try and incorporate track names/times into this somehow, but the first time I tried it I had too many fields for the form.
Has anyone ever done something like this? My goal is to keep the track times and names in each row somehow, so that they can be easily imported into the "template" each time.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears (or eyes, as it were). ;)

Upvote 0
Rogue Diabetic said:
Hmm.. this question is more specific: I'd like to try and incorporate track names/times into this somehow, but the first time I tried it I had too many fields for the form.
Has anyone ever done something like this? My goal is to keep the track times and names in each row somehow, so that they can be easily imported into the "template" each time.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears (or eyes, as it were). ;)
Not quite following you here -- please explain clearly what you are intending to do -- preferably post some sample data using HTMLmaker (Colo's Cool utility downloadable from the bottom of this MrExcel page).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back