Out of Memory....caused by "Save"!?!?

Hendrixx

Hi all,

I have an unusual VBA Out of Memory Error.

I have a spreadsheet which I have restored from backup, which opens fine, behaves fine, and does all it should (it contains about 10 modules, none of which is bigger than 64kb). It contains a couple of very small forms. It also contains about 50 public constants, and a similar number of public enums.

If I close it (without saving) and subsequently re-open it, all is still well.

As soon as I save it (even without having made any changes - i.e., open it, save it, close it with no other action taken) I get a VBA "Out of Memory" pop-up on re-opening it......

....so it appears as if the act of saving it causes the "Out of Memory" error.

"Save As..." has no effect - same OoM error.

I have had a search around the interweb and can find nothing describing a similar error (although I have checked all the other causes of OoM errors (module size etc) that I can understand, but none of them make any difference). The spreadsheet itself is only about 2.8Mb. I have similar workbooks (different versions from the same "parent template") which have even more public constants and enums, with no issues.

Anyone seen anything like this before, or does anyone have any ideas as to where I might look for a fix please?

Thanks

Phil

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
open fresh, then in vba, compile it, check your references, any with an X. would be what i would start to check

Upvote 0
Thanks mole999,

I unchecked all the references that I could (I was going to add them back one by one to try to isolate any problem ones) but there were 3 I couldn't uncheck - Visual Basic for Applications, Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library, and Microsoft Excel 12.0 Object Library (I'm using Excel 2007) as they were in use, and it seems to be one of these (possibly) causing the issue.

Short of reinstalling Excel, is there any way to fix or reinstall these references? I have had a quick look online, but can see nada....but its possible I'm asking Google the wrong question....

I appreciate your help.

Phil

Upvote 0
Thanks mole999.

All modules already had "option explicit" and compiled OK.

Unfortunately Offcat tool didn't find any issues.

Upvote 0
any vba that runs before save ?

Upvote 0
Not that I am aware of - There are no Workbook_Save or Workbook_BeforeSave events. There is a Workbook_Open event - Main.Initialise - which calls various "Sheets".Initialise, which in turn sets various ranges.

I have just noticed something though....while the Out of Memory error happens on Workbook open, clicking "OK" (to dismiss it) and then clicking on each of the worksheets in turn, with VBA code open, gives me another pop-up - "Compile error: Out of Memory" and highlights the same line in each worksheet's code - "Private contractTable as Range". These ranges are not particularly large - the biggest is $A$6:$M$64.

Upvote 0
I am too late to edit the above, but the highlight falls on the same line in each sheet as I mentioned - the declaration "Private contractTable as Range" (each sheet has other range declarations as well, but this is the first in each, which is maybe why it is highlighted).

Although each declaration in each sheet is private, I went through and subtly changed the name of each of the contractTables (e.g., contractTableAA, contractTableBB) in each sheet to see if this made any difference.

It didn't.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back