Outline Feature Broken on particular sheet.

gravanoc

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
A company file needs to have some of the columns grouped via the outline & group feature, but when I use it on the first tab, the outline is not shown (only the bare tips seem to be visible). Google said to look under Advanced options under the View tab for the worksheet. I did and the box was already checked affirmatively, so I feel something else is at fault. I made a short video demonstrating some of the quirks associated with this file (uploaded to YouTube), which prompted me to transfer some of its contents by manual copy & paste, not the Copy sheet feature since that might copy the issue over. Still, it would be nice to know if I'm overlooking something, or if there is some behavior to avoid in the future.

Some possibilities I thought of as causing this issue: 1) loss of fidelity from being passed around and edited by a large # of people & the sharing process, 2) all of the columns and rows beyond the edges of the table were hidden (from BA:XFD & 259:1048576), 3) the entire spreadsheet outside of the table, including hidden areas, had been colored dark grey, 4) there are a couple VBA events for sheet selection & sheet change in effect that are meant to prevent columns or rows being added and to spawn some userforms popups with multiple choice, 5) someone had somehow covered several table columns with the data validation meant for only one column. When I refer to the table, it's really just a range, btw.

The quirks demonstrated in my video include: 1) the row headings (1, 2, 3, etc) area shrinks or enlarges depending on which row I'm scrolled to, 2) if I completely clear that dark grey color from a cell(s) and later use the Cut feature on one of those supposedly unformatted cells it will leave the grey color in the cut area, 3) if I try to hide certain rows of a lower number than 256, it magically re-appears instantly (not shown), 4) trying to unhide all the rows down to 1048576 will cause an app-terminating hang. Note that all of these issues occur with my events turned off. I also reproduced the Cut cells issue in a new workbook by simply coloring it all blue and then using Clear on a large area, then using Cut on one of the empty cells.

Here, again, is the video if it helps illustrate: Bizzare Excel Behavior

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back