Outlook 07 open Excel attachment configuration

jcc890

Hi All,

Looking for some help here :)

I am trying to open my Outlook Excel attachments on the second instance of Excel but it always seem to only open on top of the workbooks on the first instance of Excel. So basically, doesn't matter how many separate instances of Excels I have opened, when I double click on to open an excel file from an outlook email, it will always open on the first instance, so I cannot compare them....

The only option seem to have to be save the file to the pc first... then use the second instance of excel to locate it and open..

Office 07 (Excel and Outlook)

Can someone please kindly offer me some help? any configuration that would help would be great.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.
Jeffrey

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Could you create a new instance of Excel and use that one, or does it have to be the second instance that is already open? For example
Code:
Dim xlApp As ObjectDim xlWb As Object

Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set xlWb = xlApp.Workbooks.Add
xlApp.Visible = True

If you do need the second one, then if you have a specific workbook open in that instance you can use that workbook's name to get the object, for example
Code:
Set xlApp = GetObject("WorkBookName.ext").Application

If you really want to over complicate your solution by not using either of the two methods above you could adapt the code in this thread

Hope this helps

Simon

Upvote 0
Hi Simon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

To clarify, I just want the outlook email excel attachments to open in the latest instance of excel.
Is there any way to do this without VBA? (ie registry?)

Sorry I am not good with VBA!

Please kindly advise, many thanks again!

Upvote 0
Sorry, let me explain the problem i am encountering....

For some reason after migrated to windows 7, whenever I open any excel file (doesn't matter how many excel instances I have opened), the excel file will only open on the first instance of excel.
So if I have two monitors and want to compare them side by side, i will have to go to the second instance of excel and do file open.. and its very inconvenient....especially with outlook excel attachments, I have to save the file somewhere first, then use the second excel to do file open...

Please help! much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Upvote 0
Now I've looked at your problem again, I remember reading about it before and it seems to be a generic issue. For example, there is a thread here which discusses the issue and there appear to be 2 solutions proposed, although no one confirmed whether they worked. Unfortunately I'm not in front of a setup that will allow me to test them myself.

The most likely candidate to work is probably "Ramesh P Shah:Go to Excel Options-Advanced and scroll down to the Display section. Make sure the option for "Show all windows on the taskbar" is UN selected."

Apologies that I can't really be of more help than that, unless you do want to go down the VBA route (which again I can't test if it overcomes the issue)

Upvote 0
Many thanks again for your quick reply, Simon.

Can you please tell me what code I can use to let Outlook know when I want to trigger the CreateObject ("Excel.Application")?

Is there an "if" or "for each" statement I can use? so that everytime I double click on an excel attachment, it would CreateObject ("Excel.Application")

Thanks again!
Jeffrey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back