Outlook rule for e-mail from single address, but different senders?

Lil2606

Board Regular
Hi all,

This is a bit of a strange one. I work for a big company and when we get e-mails from the top management we get them all from the same address, <management@certaincompany.com> but depending on what the e-mail is about, we get it from a different sender. We can get an e-mail from the 'Coronavirus Info <management@certaincompany.com>' or from 'Weekly News Letter <management@certaincompany.com>'

The subject line is always 'Please Read - Information for all Employees', and in the context of the e-mail, they can say something like 'As you would have read in the 'Weekly News Letter' when its an e-mail from the Coronavirus Info, or in the Weekly News Letter they can say 'Stay tuned for more information regarding the lockdowns, there will be communication from the Coronavirus Info in the following days'.

I would like these to be moved to different folders automatically, but if I just do the 'Move messages from ....' rule, it doesn't differentiate between 'Coronavirus Info' and 'Weekly News Letter' because they come from the same address. I tried the 'with certain words in the sender's address' but that also didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Well... how do you know the emails come from different places?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alright. I have a similar thing with emails coming from SharePoint. I found a way to make it work. Maybe see if this works for you...

Open one of your coronavirus emails and go to Files>Properties.

In the Internet Headers, look for "From: some text <management@certaincompany.com>" and copy that string somewhere.

Repeat this for emails from each of your different senders until you have a list of senders and their corresponding "from" header text.

Set up your rules for each sender and for the criteria choose "specific words in message header" instead of sender's address, etc. Set those specific words to be the "from" string you copied earlier for that sender.

Set the rest of your conditions up however you want and then save and run the rules to test them out.

Repeat for all your senders.

Like I said, I only tried this under one condition that may not be identical to the one you find yourself in... so best of luck that this works for you and let us know what comes of it. :)

Upvote 0
Solution
YESS! That seems to work. I moved a couple of them into my inbox to test and so far so good. We shall see how it works live soon. Thank you very much! Also good point I have the same thing with sharepoint too but that usually varies in subject line so I haven't had a problem with that, yet. However its good to have a solution for it, should the need arise. Much appreciated.

A couple of points to anyone who might want to do the same thing and is not proficient in outlook, like myself, to get the e-mail's properties you need to pop it out to a separate window, to be able to go Files > Properties, and the 'Internet Headers' is a super intimidating box of jibberish text, you are literally looking for the (in my example) "From: Coronavirus Info<management@certaincompany.com>" the next line is "To: *my e-mail here*" don't get confused with the "Recieved from:" stuff before it.

Again thank you for your help JonXL!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back